General Photos Topic For 1950s To 1990 NVA.

patches

Lets start one for the Nationale Volksarmee, a catch all topic like the one we started for the Bundeswehr and the Post War to Current Austrian Bundesheer.

This is from sometime in the 70s,Leutnant? has no Pips as we see. also, not sure on the shoulder straps, lot of Green in it, anyone know Arm? 

easst.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, Fallschirmjaeger (paratroopers), the only NVA soldiers I´m aware of who wore berets. The (later) Luftsturmregiment 40 had an interesting history. It was disbanded one year after reunification in 1991. Great photo!

Here is an interesting photo of Volkspolizei dog handler training.  Notice some are wearing collar tabs while some are not.

DDR VP tunic collar tabs.jpg

The pic is a little fuzzy but it looks green for Volkspolizei.  Female wreath insignia on caps were the larger Officer style like this.  

I checked my files again. Obviously I was wrong in my last post (#4). Beside Airborne troops femal NVA personnel wore berets (NVA term: "Baskenmuetzen") as well. Attached a scan of the corresponding NVA uniform manual´s page.

So referring to the visible shoulder board my guess would be that the last photo shows a femal NVA NCO.

Baskenmuetze.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Aha!  Look closely at this Air Force Sergeant and you will see she is wearing a pair of Officer shoulder boards under her NCO boards.  So this  shot was taken at her Officer course graduation ceremony.  At the end of the ceremony the newly minted officers remove their former rank insignia.  No wonder she is smiling.

Nice photo!

Proud Kraut

Sarge, you are spot-on. So she´s most likely an "Offizierschueler 4. Studienjahr" (officer candidate, 4th academic year), wearing a "S" on her shoulder boards.

Faehnrichschueler (Warrant officer candidate) boards were marked by a "F". Attached an image from the corresponding chapter of the NVA uniform manual.

OffzSch.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

And... here is an example of the Winter version of the white foul weather coat for the Volkspolizei traffic cop.  

BTW, the photo above was also used for the cover of a DDR coffee table book about the Volkspolizei.  

DDR VP Verkehrspolizei coat.JPG

DDR VP Verkehrspolizei coat back.JPG

DDR VP Verkehrspolizei coat side.JPG

Mr. Bushido
On 2023/7/5 at 午後1時7分, patches said:

VoPo ポスター、今回は 70 年代のもの。

vopoo.PNG

Very interesting picture!

I've seen very few good pictures of VoPo NCOs from the 70's.

The peaked cap insignia in this photo looks like an early model.

Also, the lapel insignia is an early one similar to those used in WWII.

I'm curious as to what kind of uniform these insignias were used in combination with.

I thought I would be able to fasten the first button of the jacket, but unfortunately the buttonhole was hidden by the bouquet.

It looks like this fellow has dark green backing on his collar tabs and shoulder boards which makes him a Meister der VP, or regular policeman.  Therefore he would wear an open collar tunic as shown.  If he had light green backing on his collar tabs and shoulder boards he would be a Meister der Kasernierten Einheit des Mdi. or a barracked policeman. Then he would wear a tunic that could be worn with an open or a closed collar.  Barracked policemen could also wear some military insignia such as marksmanship cords and collar Tresse.  

DDR KVP NCO tunic with collar litzen.JPG

DDR KVP NCO collar tab & litzen.JPG

DDR Barracks Police closed collar close.JPG

Mr. Bushido

Sarge, thanks for the additional post.

There are fewer books on NVA, and even fewer on VoPo.

I learned a lot from your explanation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Mr. Bushido
7 hours ago, patches said:

A 1957 photo of Ho Chi Minh  posing with Sailors of the Volksmarine during a visit to East Germany.

1957.PNG

Interesting photo taken shortly after Volksmarine activation.

I would have mistaken it for VP-See without your note.