Reversible ROKMC Trousers

DoubleCanister

DoubleCanister

Reversible ROKMC Trousers

These appear to have seen some use in the first year or so of the ROK Marine deployment to Vietnam before being replaced by non reversible duck hunter uniforms. Interestingly, these still saw a lot of use in Korea until the early 1970s.

image.png.5d20c94b167d74883ec8799c06b3e166.png

image.png.70a31b8a6ab22be24f467640515becf7.png

DoubleCanister
On 11/24/2022 at 10:07 AM, Haebyeongdae said:

Here’s the one pocket reversible uniform used in Vietnam in 1971. In photographs they show up a lot even late in the war. 

A27E6FE5-C9F8-4FA6-A7CC-D064DA165105.jpeg

Thank you! I honestly had no clue they lasted that long in Vietnam. I hope to find the shirt sometime in the next century lol.

I’ll upload a few more photographs from the late period of the war. All photos are from 1969-1972 and show the single pocket reversible uniforms in use. 

Here is another one from 69. The marine on the far right even has work trousers on. 

9795D48F-2FB6-4752-87EA-0AA65937D346.jpeg

DoubleCanister
On 11/26/2022 at 7:56 AM, Haebyeongdae said:

I’ll upload a few more photographs from the late period of the war. All photos are from 1969-1972 and show the single pocket reversible uniforms in use. 

Here is another one from 69. The marine on the far right even has work trousers on. 

9795D48F-2FB6-4752-87EA-0AA65937D346.jpeg

Is it known if there was a specific policy for issuing the reversible vs. the normal nonreversible duckhunter uniforms?

I just remembered that there were some famous photos of 남진 wearing the reversible uniform after his return from Vietnam.

image.png.f2e5e8d50452890a0afa25ed66a5e45a.png

From all Korean language documents, photos, and books I have gone through there was no policy or distinguishing one from another. They were issued alongside the non reversible right up until wars end. Even in the same platoon you’ll see a good mix of the early one pocket and two pocket types.

Also being on the topic of reversible and non reversible items what I find interesting is the factory made helmet covers were the only item that was always reversible no matter what. Every original example is reversible and all the Korean specs also call for them to be reversible. This continued into the 70s with the 4 and then briefly on the 3 panel helmet covers. Original helmet covers are even made with a different fabric/ and slightly different print than the uniforms which is odd. My only guess is that they were such a small item and they had so many bolts of fabric made for the helmet covers that their stock lasted for years. If you see a non reversible helmet cover listed as original chances are it is a repro made with jacket material, something I found out the hard way. 

3 hours ago, DoubleCanister said:

Is it known if there was a specific policy for issuing the reversible vs. the normal nonreversible duckhunter uniforms?

I just remembered that there were some famous photos of 남진 wearing the reversible uniform after his return from Vietnam.

image.png.f2e5e8d50452890a0afa25ed66a5e45a.png

Also I’ve seen this photo of Nam Jin countless times and never realized it was a reversible uniform!