Type 99 Series 23 Rifle

kfields

Here is one I picked up at a local antique show about 20-ish years ago. I remembered struggling about the price at the time $240 (haha!) but ended up buying it and the bayonet. I foolishly sold off the original sling not long after that. The rifle is original and all numbers matching including the bolt, bolt parts and dustcover. I shoot it occasionally for the fun of it. Another neat thing about it is the sailor who brought it back imprinted his name in the buttplate. Knowing where the guy was from in Pennsylvania, I researched and found out he was a crew member aboard the USS Bennington during the war. 

Series 23 (1).jpg

Series 23 (3).jpg

Series 23 (4).jpg

Series 23 (11).jpg

Preppy Picker

Very nice example.

I once met a retired Navy Chief who told me he was in charge of disposing of thousands of Japanese rifles. Everyday they would fill dump trucks with rifles, dump them on the docks and as personnel boarded ships to go home they would hand them a rifle.

Very nice! I picked up a Series 21 yesterday. Unfortunately it’s missing the mono pod and cleaning rod, the parts are mismatched, and mum was ground off. Still, for the price, it’s still worth owning a piece of WW II history!

The Type 30 bayonet came from my uncle, who served in New Guinea and the Philippines. It’s been nearly 70 years since it was on an Arisaka rifle!

9A2CF95D-F3F7-428D-A157-63EF4C17140A.jpeg.d8f8284e515d1423fa2e78f572945db7.jpeg