Lee-Enfield Collecting Advice

Navy87Guy

I’m working on a collection of iconic WW II weapons for both sides. Obviously the Lee-Enfield is a prime candidate for the UK contingent. What should I be looking for in a period-correct gun? I’m not a purist, but I do want something from the era. I’ve browsed through some online resources and with the Lee-Enfield being in use for so long, it’s not clear to me which marks/models I should be considering (or not).

Hopefully some of you smart folks can help educate me! 😄

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
Charlie Flick

Hello Navy87Guy:

Sorry for the laggard reply.  You have a worthy goal there.  I agree that your collection ought to have an example of the WW2 Lee Enfield.

To that end I would recommend the No. 4 Mk. I rifle.  Although adopted before the war as an improved version very few had been made by the time the war started in 1939.  The British remedied that with manufacture of the rifle at 3 locations in the UK, one in Canada and one in the USA (a Lend Lease deal).  U.S.-made Savage/Stevens No. 4s numbered 1.2 million, with Long Branch in Canada contributing another 910,000.  In the UK  Fazakerley made 619,000, Maltby 737,000 and Shirley with 665,000 for a grand total of 4.1 million produced.  That is a whole lot of rifles.

If you are only going to have one I would search for the best condition example I could find and not get hung up on the makers.  It would be nice to have one that does not have import marks but overall condition is most important.

Apparently, Winston Churchill liked the Enfield as well, and he was someone who knew his way around small arms.  Here he is inspecting a No. 4 Mk. I with the 53rd Division sometime in 1942.

Hope that helps.  Good luck.  Let us know what you end up with.

Regards,

Charlie

Churchill with No 4 Mk I with 53rd Div in 1942.jpg

Thanks, @Charlie Flick! I ended up picking up a pretty nice 1943 Long Branch No 4 Mk I*. It looks like it did some time overseas (It has an Ishapore screw and and RFI marking on the bolt head) but otherwise it's pretty "clean". It has a fairly discrete import mark on the muzzle - which is completely hidden with the bayonet attached!