Opinions on Laotian Jump Wings

Page-Hendryx

I'd like to get some opinions on these Laotian wings;  they were pinned to a TN State Guard BDU coat.  They're 'DRAGO', in mint condition, and serial-numbered.  Apparently Royal Lao Army jumpmasters have come to the States in recent times and awarded wings to State Guard personnel after they've completed the requisite training and jumps, so I'm guessing that's what this is from.  Badge is pin-back.  Someone stated that this is a cheap copy, although I have seen a couple pics recently of military or possibly State Guard people (can't recall which) wearing gold-tone wings like these.  Badge is serial numbered.

IMG_0812.JPG.6a29f193b247ad54830b76fdbef2fdea.JPG

IMG_0806.JPG.cf5ad08bf7d7d71d8e76ae8da52a9f28.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I commented on this piece on the US Forum as I didn't think it was genuine due to the lack of a finish and the funky looking rear pin back that no French manufacture that I am aware of uses on their insignia.   I have changed my opinion on this piece as the 3938 serial number looks genuine.  I once had a numbered French paratrooper wing, also made by Drago, where the rear loop on one side had broken off.  I took it to a jeweler to have it soldered back on.  However the intense heat of soldering ruined much of the finish so the jeweler was forced to polish it to base metal which was a copper looking color.  You can see where the loops on each side of your wing have been cut off and in its place a jeweler has soldered on this pin back assembly of the type you see on costume jewelry.  The entire piece was then plated in gold for some unknown reason.  

On 12/5/2022 at 9:45 AM, Page-Hendryx said:

I'd like to get some opinions on these Laotian wings;  they were pinned to a TN State Guard BDU coat.  They're 'DRAGO', in mint condition, and serial-numbered.  Apparently Royal Lao Army jumpmasters have come to the States in recent times and awarded wings to State Guard personnel after they've completed the requisite training and jumps, so I'm guessing that's what this is from.  Badge is pin-back.  Someone stated that this is a cheap copy, although I have seen a couple pics recently of military or possibly State Guard people (can't recall which) wearing gold-tone wings like these.  Badge is serial numbered.

IMG_0812.JPG.6a29f193b247ad54830b76fdbef2fdea.JPG

IMG_0806.JPG.cf5ad08bf7d7d71d8e76ae8da52a9f28.JPG

this is a true piece i have some drago badges lettering mostly the same on them i do notice where the eye hooks were and are missing.

Here is one in my collection that is not serial numbered but has the correct Drago address for this period of wing.  This shows the original factory finish and intact rear loops as it came from the factory.  

Laos Jump Wings (2).JPG

Laos Jump Wings (3).JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the replies (I don't get email notifications for some reason). 

Also, while searching the 'net, I found these two images containing Lao jump wings.  They appear to be a gold tone;  maybe it's just the pic...

20245507_1397513620284069_1556840095489097628_n.jpg

922488_521817517853688_835204586_o.jpg