US Medals on Foreign uniforms

easterneagle87

easterneagle87

I thought I'd start a topic and see what came from it. I'm a fan of US service members being awarded medals from their sister services. AND .. There have been separate posts of other nations being presented US medals.  We've seen Netherlands, UK, France racks with US awards. How about some pictures of Foreign nations wearing US awards. Here is one from the US Militaria Form of French Brigadier General Jean-Pierre Fagué, currently serving as the Deputy Commanding General - Readiness of the United States 3rd Infantry Division at Fort Stewart, Georgia, wearing a US Army Commendation on his rack. Bottom left in the photo.

French arcom.jpg

easterneagle87

Expanding on this thread. Here are some "re-captured images of US awards on Dutch/Netherlands ribbon bars from the Dutch medals and orders page.  

Dutch 1.jpg

Dutch 2.jpg

Dutch 3.jpg

Dutch PH.jpg

Always been interested in this topic. We see foreign awards on US stacks all the time in the hobby, but much less the other way around. Here are a few...

Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal as worn by a Norwegian recipient...

9AF39288-F99B-456F-9840-94B3E43A4FB8.jpeg.6c3e906887ebdea527f50d17c260a67b.jpeg

Afghanistan Campaign Medal being worn by the head of Norwegian Special Forces, Torgeir Gråtrud...

1BA309A1-3AE7-40C5-9A19-3B395A839B53.jpeg.7242111d50b34d91180a101c79574422.jpeg

Sven Harald Halvorsen wearing the Army Commendation Medal awarded for the attack on MFO HQ in Sinai, Egypt in 2012

E4CD603B-EEE0-4876-B1D6-67C74D24B393.jpeg.26685487ac4faa883c352b77381202df.jpeg

A German award bar with Joint Service Achievement Medal

s-l1600 (5).jpg

Well, I couldn't find a photo of him wearing the medal, but here is a newspaper clipping of the awarding of it and a photo of him earning it.

CPL Leslie "Bull" Allen 2/5 Infantry Battalion, Australian Army in New Guinea. Allen received the Silver Star for carrying at least 12 wounded US troops down from Mount Tambu. It is the highest award for valor the US can bestow on a foreign national.              Scott

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/56377324

https://images.app.goo.gl/2JVjFL8cuQ79Cd8QA

Very interesting bar with a US Legion of Merit awarded to a former enemy soldier, worn at the end of his rack of 1957 regulation ribbons...I've seen a few occasions over the years of the LOM being awarded to former Wehrmacht troops and it's always interesting to see that once upon a time we were able to reconcile with our enemies when hostilities ended

s-l1600.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
easterneagle87

Cruising YouTube and came across this Post WW2 video. this Russian officer caught my eye. US DSC and LOM!  He is also wearing the Hero of the Soviet Union. I'm sure he's ID'able - so who is he? 

Screenshot 2023-12-18 102028.png

23 hours ago, easterneagle87 said:

Cruising YouTube and came across this Post WW2 video. this Russian officer caught my eye. US DSC and LOM!  He is also wearing the Hero of the Soviet Union. I'm sure he's ID'able - so who is he? 

Screenshot 2023-12-18 102028.png

Hi easterneagle.

This is Colonel General Gleb Vladimirovich Baklanov 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gleb_Baklanov

regards

Gunner