Ukraine War Trophies being sold on Ebay

jamie Washington

jamie Washington

I have been following the Ukraine war and a friend of mine recently bought a Russian helmet off ebay from the Ukraine war with the hopes that it will go up in price in the future.

Ukrainians are selling items labelled as Ukraine war trophy which are usually items from dead Russian soldiers or wagner pmc. They use this money to support their families or to support the Ukraine Military.

I reckon some of these items could reach thousands in a few years time, eg Wagner PMC army patch, that will be seen as the equivalent to a Nazi sign in the future

What do you think?

Capture.PNG

Preppy Picker

I follow the war because I study war, in the process I look at a lot of pictures and wonder about artifacts. Someone else posted part of a Russian aircraft in an earlier thread. Maybe top ranking Ukrainians should auction off their old uniforms?

Whats horrifying is that this even happened and I pray it ends soon.

Airborne-Hunter

I'm not sure I'd rush in to buy this type of stuff. For starters, the obvious is where theres money to be made, it will be made. Most people, myself included, do not know how to tell, for example, a correct wagner pmc patch vs a made for collector. The next problem is in the future how will you prove that it came from a specific conflict or area. In WW1 there were specific helmets, gear, ect. In today's infinity wars how is one to tell that whatever item came from Ukraine vs Syria, vs China knockoff vs Russia stolen off a truck vs wherever. The next question is with the infinite number of wars, will collectors really care? The Reich has been gone almost 80 years and they still hold the crown for the king daddy of baddies in movies, films, pop culture, ect. Without getting into politics, I don't see this being the same. 

These listings are also in direct violation of ebay policy (as if I care). But this approaches the elephant.... none of this addresses the possibility of problems importing body armor or weapons components, trophies or not. I would not want to end up on a watchlist or worse have a warrant executed and my house flipped for this stuff. Ebay is one thing, but buying direct from someone also could pose other legal issues which are numerous and even scarier. Think of all your bank accounts frozen, indefinitely. Buyer beware. 

We will likely never seen a boom in prices of new stuff, as the market is already established and the fakers are already churning stuff out on the same machinery...it will be almost impossible to prove without rock solid provenance.

If you really want to support the war effort, there are legitimate Ukrainian firms turning scrapped Russian plane pieces into key chains and bottle openers and selling them online, with the profits going towards the war effort. A lot less questionable.

Well, how about a different line of thought? Collect what makes you happy regardless of value or future appreciation. In my opinion, if you are securing the item in the hope that is goes up 1000% in value, you are not a collector you are an investor. I collect what I enjoy, some is valuable some is just neat and fun.     Scott