97. Jäger-Division Unit Cap Badge Variant?

patches

Generalleutnant Ernst Rupp  commander of the 97. Jäger-Division ,1 January 1942 – 30 May 1943, wearing what may be a variant of the Cock Feather Badge, a Silver Shield of the  Spielhahnjäger Divisional vehicle insignia rather then the Feather by itself.

download.png806036437_tgeneralleutnant_ernst_rupp_kommandeur_97_jger-division.jpg.fdb0da6d04012316f273ef6b21644933.jpg

Generalleutnant Ernst Rupp (Kommandeur 97. Jäger-Division).jpg

It's a stickpin, if you look closely you can even see the pin sticking out beneath the shield. This is accepted as a practice that was done on at least a few occasions. The two generally accepted-to-have-been-worn 97th traditions badges below are photos I picked up from around the net, likely WAF. Divisionals/traditions badges are an interest of mine, they're just not the easiest to find

I have never seen a period photo of a "feather by itself" being worn

97 Jgr Div (1).jpg

97 Jgr Div (2).JPG

Looks like a standard Jager oakleaf to me. Maybe it has the crest on it like the second one I posted above, but I doubt it. My guess is the seller chopped up a group of photos IDed to a member of the 97th and that's how he's associating it with a unit