The New Danish Army

patches

1951, an Honor Guard, the  Dannebrog held aloft. Armed with the M1 Rifles from America, and at this early stage U.S. GI Steel Helmets, the liners here being worn by themselves, one of which is an Airborne liner.

danish-army-honor-guard-m1-garand-m50-garand-garandgever-sig-p210-pistols-1-august-1951-visit-det-er-general-eisenhower-copenhaven.jpg

The Caption for below photo. As an aside,we see he's wearing British Gaiters, but what is that on his back, Italian Camouflage Ground sheet used a Pack Cover???

Garands would continue to soldier on with the Danish as a second-line and Home Guard rifle through the 1990s, when it would finally be replaced by Colt Canada C7 (M16A2) rifles and C8 (M4A1) carbines, which would be adopted as the Gevær M/95 and Karabin M/96, respectively. As such, the Danes would be the last Western European NATO member to field John Garand’s vaunted 30.06.

dane.PNG

I don't know if it is Italian made, but I was given one in 1974 when I signed up for the Home Guard, used as pictured and as a scarf. The German M/75 rifle, was used between the Garand (M/50) and the Colt

DSC_0037.JPG