KEMPEITAI ARMBAND W/ U.S. ARMY OF OCCUPATION "M.P" STAMP

bldrhouse

I have acquired this unusual WWII [i]Kempeitai[/i] armband with "M.P." stamped on it.

I can only assume that this was worn by an American M.P. on duty with a [i]kenpei[/i] (憲兵) during post-war occupation period.

I'm looking for any info or photos of such an armband being worn by Occupation M.P.s and/or with a [i]kempei[/i].

Thanks,  ZK 

1.jpg

ZK, I suspect your armband was worn by a Japanese Military Policeman serving under the American Occupation forces.  I know that Allied Military authorities left many of the Kempeitai armed and in place to control local populations and Japanese soldiers.

I have not seen a photo of these Japanese MPs wearing such an armband but I have seen pistol holsters marked in this style and photos of German Policemen wearing similar Military Government Police black on white armbands.

MG Pol armband.jpg

I believe these are work by Kempeitai in occupied territories, I'm sure I've seen a photo from Singapore but couldn't find it.

These are heavily faked and I'm in no way educated enough to have an opinion on this one. Not sure if its the done thing but here a link to another forum that discusses these armbands

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/japanese-militaria/kempeitai-armband-authentication-807443-2/

Steve.