Painting Of Danish soldiers return to Copenhagen in 1848 The First Schleswig War

patches

A 1894 painting by Danish Artist Otto Bache, a recent discovery of mine, never seen this before, very impressive, the Facial Expressions are phenomenal. I will be posting a few enlargements of this painting to catch the remarkable artistry of it all. These troops we guess are coming home after the Armistice of Malmö, however the fighting starts up again in February 1849, we guess till around May 1851.

danes 5.jpg

I thought this scene was interesting.  The man doesn't look happy at all. And it looks as if the woman is looking at a soldier and he's looking at her. Wonder what the story is...

20230209_065437.jpg

20230209_065505.jpg

Already have that one saved ready to post Otter 1489671393_emoticonsmile.png.b6d3d764a165783016b7710f10cb9489.png. As far as the man and women with baby? My interpretation is he's encouraging her, that her man is in the ranks, as she looks kinda distraught.

danes 4.PNG

• 1 month later...

No.2 flag that hangs over the street is the Norwegian-Swedish union flag. And no.5 flag is the Swedish-Norwegian union flag, the reason why they are included in the picture, I think that  soldiers  from these countries  participated on the Danish side during the 3 years war .( page #9)

15 hours ago, SFC said:

No.2 flag that hangs over the street is the Norwegian-Swedish union flag. And no.5 flag is the Swedish-Norwegian union flag, the reason why they are included in the picture, I think that  soldiers  from these countries  participated on the Danish side during the 3 years war .( page #9)

That's very interesting, I for one never heard of these flags, nor did we make note of them in the painting.

swedd.PNG

swed.PNG

• 7 months later...