IJA Mess display

MattS

Nice example! I read a very lengthy online discussion on IJA rations, very little meat/fish added to rice and vegetables was the norm. However, I couldn't find nearly as much info on what the typical soldier carried in the field to cook and eat those rations. This is sort of my best guess! Everything is WW2 era with the exception of the chopsticks which may be post war, but I have no way of telling. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nice display Matt!

I do have a vet ID'd souvenir set of chop sticks from a Portland 38th ID vet. As the story was related to me, they were on a combat patrol and came across a headquarters of a Japanese unit. As the firefight developed, the vet shot and killed a Japanese as he was frantically sending a message by radio. Vet was armed with a Thompson SMG and said he nearly cut the Japanese soldier in half. He said the chop sicks with the box were there as he was apparently getting ready to eat, and the vet just put them in his pocket as a souvenir. 

Has anyone ever seen a "handle" that fits in the bracket on the mess kit? 

BKW

Gruesome story, but not uncommon I guess.

These are just generic chop sticks advertised as "vintage Japanese" so it would be interesting to compare them.

The bracket on the main body of the kit, as I understand it, is to pass a strap through when it was attached to the center rear of the pack. 

IJA pack.jpg