Identifying Specific Cap Badge

Navy87Guy

I picked up a cap badge of some "flavor", but I'm lost trying to figure out what kind! Looking at this page from Assman & Sohne, it seems like all the different trades used pretty much the same insignia:

Partieadler.jpg.09125e8dc89416503ccde54d90a60d9f.jpg

Other than the finish (and size), I can't see any difference between any of them. Am I missing something? Is there a way to tell exactly what something is?

In the end I know it doesn't really matter - whether it was a doorman or mailman. I'm just more curioous than anything!

Thanks!

You are correct.  This is an early Assmann page showing Eagle & Swastika Cap insignia for "Beamte" (Officials) so they are all similar with small changes for color and size.  Notice the bottom examples show the early period cap eagle for Zollbeamte (Customs Officials) and this was later changed to a larger Army style eagle with upturned wing tips.  It is the small differences in these early eagles before they evolved into more distinctive styles that make them interesting. 

Thanks, @SARGE- The differences sure are subtle!

This was prompted by the other thread on the cap badge. I also have one of those - and the picture of the Assman catalog sent me down that path. I saw your reply there about the ”beefier”  1936 eagle. Would this be one?

515057F6-EE86-4D1B-B865-DC171D4F6D35.jpeg.dda11276a3227954408bdefa83160152.jpeg

At leas the differences between this one and the one in the other post are a little more obvious!

Preppy Picker
9 hours ago, Navy87Guy said:

Thanks, @SARGE- The differences sure are subtle!

This was prompted by the other thread on the cap badge. I also have one of those - and the picture of the Assman catalog sent me down that path. I saw your reply there about the ”beefier”  1936 eagle. Would this be one?

515057F6-EE86-4D1B-B865-DC171D4F6D35.jpeg.dda11276a3227954408bdefa83160152.jpeg

At leas the differences between this one and the one in the other post are a little more obvious!

You should post this on the other thread as it looks original compared to the one posted.

There are heavier two-piece examples of this early police cap badge but they are for officer ranks while the one you show is for NCOs. 

Here is an example of the post 1936 "beefier" police cap eagle.  This is the two-piece eagle intended for Officer rank caps.  There is a one-piece eagle of this style intended for wear on NCO caps.

Pol Off cap eagle.JPG

Pol Off cap eagle back.JPG

FFW Off cap.JPG