M89 Prussian Uhlan Cavalry Saber

SARGE

Gents,

This is a private purchase Senior NCO (Unteroffizier mit Portepee) M89 Prussian Cavalry Saber.  This particular sword is identified to the "Schlesw.=Holst. Ulanen Regt. No.15" on the obverse blade etching.  The reverse blade etching shows Uhlan Cavalrymen in a combat scenario.  The sword was made by Alexander Coppel as their Nr.1605 with a folding guard.  The hilt has a black celluloid grip and the fittings are nickeled steel.  The folding basket guard has a large Prussian eagle on the obverse and a narrow folding counter-guard on the reverse.  The Prussian Officer Portepee is the authorized knot for an Unteroffizier mit Portepee.  The straight scabbard is black painted steel with one fixed suspension ring indicating EM and NCOs.  The double etched blade is straight and has one wide fuller.  

It seems the Schleswig-Holstein Ulanen Regiment No.15 was authorized on 30 October 1866 and was set up 2 November 1867. It served during the occupation of France after the 1870/71 War and was garrisoned in Strasbourg. In 1896 the regiment moved to Saarburg in Lorraine.  This sword was manufactured after 1910 as evidenced by the single suspension ring.  I have not explored the wartime service of the regiment during WWI.

Prussian Ulan sword.JPG

Prussian Ulan hilt.JPG

Prussian Ulan folding guard.JPG

Prussian Ulan guard reverse.JPG

Prussian Ulan maker.JPG

Prussian Ulan blade obverse.JPG

Prussian Ulan blade reverse.JPG

I don't know anything about it, but the condition of the sword is fantastic. I don't think you will find a finer example. Congratulations on a great piece. Dave

Thank you for the kudos gentlemen. 

I was very happy to find this saber at the long running Leavenworth Militaria Show last week.  This little show brings out some very interesting items since there are so many retired Army soldiers in the area.  You never know what you will find. 

This personalized M89 saber was one that I have been looking for.  Another thing off the wish list.

Further research indicated this mounted Ulanen regiment was mobilized in August 1914 as part of the 7th Cavalry Division.  This was part of the 42nd Cavalry Brigade (XXI Army Corps) serving in the East.  The 15th Regiment returned to the Western front in January 1917.  It was in Alsace until May 1918 and in Artois to October 1918.  It then went back to Flanders until the end of the war.  The regiment was dismounted on 14 May 1918 and became the 7th Cavalry Schutzen Division under the 64th Corps.  The unit was demobilized after the armistice at Osterburg in December 1918.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link patches.  Now all I need is a uniform.