Bundeswehr Awards

stratasfan

Have these three Bundeswehr awards for Marksmanship. I think these are really pretty awards. Was wondering . . . is this style something that has been around in the German military a long time or more modern? Also . . . how exactly do you earn them? 

image.png

They have been around for a loooong time. I have several wwII ones in my collection.depending on the device they have it can be infantry, armoured, etc... They are marksman awards...

Yes, these cords date back to Imperial times as well.  

Oh, that's cool they are an old style! They looked like something that would be a "classic" type. Bet Imperial ones are pretty, too! So, being a Marksman badge, is this the equivalent of the US badge that looks like a bullseye with the hanging bar? 

In a nutshell yes. If i can dig mine out i will post several variations of WWII German Wehrmacht. The Luftwaffe had them also

Rakkasan187

Elizabeth,

The US Army partners with German units and the US Soldiers fire German weapons for qualification and based on the points received when firing the weapons (German P8 Pistol, G36 Rifle, Machine gun, submachine gun) you are awarded the color Schutzenschnur (Bronze, Silver, Gold) based on your score. The lowest being Bronze.

The German army is also eligible to fire and qualify with the US weapons and in turn are awarded one of the three classes of US marksmanship awards (Marksman, Sharpshooter, or Expert) again based on your score. 

I earned mine in Berlin in the 80's 

Best regards

Leigh  

Proud Kraut

I would like to add that this is an award for NCO and other enlisted men only. Officers can earn the Schuetzenschnur but are not allowed to wear it.

Thanks for the fun facts. Super interesting about the earning of them and that an Officer can earn it but not wear it! And I didn't know that other Countries could earn a badge like this (German earning US and visa-versa!). Would love to see some pictures of the old ones!