Translation??

yokota57

1 minute ago, easterneagle87 said:

Is it an Air Force "Prime Beef" patch? 

No. 1955th Airways and Air Communications Service Squadron Detachment 4. I posted the characters here in the hope that someone familiar with Japanese would be able to translate.

It is one of the Japanese minor alphabets called katagana and used in written Japanese when writing out foreign words.  Like baseball is pronounced basuboru.  As best I can determine it reads something like "Baagu Oh Koohana" which doesn't sound like any English word(s) that I can make out.  

4 minutes ago, Tonomachi said:

It is one of the Japanese minor alphabets called katagana and used in written Japanese when writing out foreign words.  Like baseball is pronounced basuboru.  As best I can determine it reads something like "Baagu Oh Koohana" which doesn't sound like any English word(s) that I can make out.  

Interesting info. Thanks

バッブ オ´コオナア

ba-bbu o-ko-o-na-a

I believe its the name Bob O'Connor. Unusually, it even appears the apostrophe after the "O" (オ) was carried over into the Japanese katakana despite serving no function.

This is not how the name would be transliterated today but in the post-WW2 period things were much less standardized.

Just now, Joe said:

バッブ オ´コオナア

ba-bbu o-ko-o-na-a

I believe its the name Bob O'Connor. Unusually, it even appears the apostrophe after the "O" (オ) was carried over into the Japanese katakana despite serving no function.

This is not how the name would be transliterated today but in the post-WW2 period things were much less standardized.

Excellent! Thank you.