Former Great War Pilot in the Luftwaffe

patches

This caught my eye, see the Imperial Pilots Badge, plus 1914 Iron Cross 2nd Class Ribbon with 1939 Clasp, and what may be the 1914 Iron Cross 1st Class. Here in this case he has been awarded a Second Iron Cross 2nd Class in the current war, though not as a pilot, probably in some kind of support role, as he is not wering the current Luftwaffe Pilot badge.

Bu vet.jpg

These former WWI soldiers who were called back to service were called "Retreads" in the US services.  Neat photograph!

• 7 months later...

Another Great War  Imperial Pilots Badge, a Major, a Staff Officer most likely, These POWs, I think in Germany in 45, seems to be a lot of Senior Luftwaffe Officers, perhaps the Staff of one of the Luftgaus that was overrun overtaken???

luft ww1 badge.PNG

• 4 weeks later...

Not a former Army Luftstreitkräfte Pilot, but a Navy one, Marine-Fliegerabteilung Pilot, as he seems to wearing the Retired Navy Pilot Badge (Can't find hard Info on this badge, like it's official name, if anyone can add something more on badge, or give a link?)

So given that, perhaps these troops are of the Kriegsmarine Coast Artillery in the 30s, the former pilot now in a different rôle.

navypoi;t.PNG

Looks like a standard "Flieger-Erinnerungsabzeichen". I think the Navy one "Erinnerungsabzeichen fuer Marineflugzeugfuehrer und -beobachter" looks different.

8 hours ago, Proud Kraut said:

Looks like a standard "Flieger-Erinnerungsabzeichen". I think the Navy one "Erinnerungsabzeichen fuer Marineflugzeugfuehrer und -beobachter" looks different.

Looks like this one, it has the voided area around the eagle, seen it titled, Retired Navy Pilot Badge. 

ww.jpg