Webley MKIV and knife.

dcollector

dcollector

Webley MKIV .38 marked for Shanghai Police Force (SPF)
With holster. 

Absolutely spectacular (late WWII) 3rd pattern Fairbairn Sykes commando Dagger. 
I have simply not seen a FS dagger blade in this condition before. 

Mills No.36 Grenade.

1942 printing of Get Tough! Written by William E. Fairbairn
Cover embossed under dust jacket: Major WE Fairbairn

WE Fairbairn had been an Officer with the Shanghai Police Force prior to WW2, it was here he developed a lot of his unarmed combat and shooting techniques and also where the famous knife was conceived.

IMG_7650 2.jpg

IMG_7651 2.jpg

IMG_7652 2.jpg

IMG_7653 2.jpg

IMG_7654 2.jpg

IMG_7655 2.jpg

IMG_7656 2.jpg

• 1 month later...
Charlie Flick

That's a neat Webley indeed.  The holster is actually a USGI holster made by Brauer Brothers for the S&W Victory Model revolver in .38 Special with the 4 inch barrel.  I do not know what the proper holster would be for the SPF.

Regards,

Charlie

On 6/26/2023 at 7:14 PM, Charlie Flick said:

That's a neat Webley indeed.  The holster is actually a USGI holster made by Brauer Brothers for the S&W Victory Model revolver in .38 Special with the 4 inch barrel.  I do not know what the proper holster would be for the SPF.

Regards,

Charlie

SPF carried a Sam Brown variant holster and rig, and then later, war surplus canvas, stained white (blanco). Amongst other variations of UK MP issue gear.

I am sure there are experts who have more info. 

But thank you for the info. on the little holster. It came with the revolver and fits perfectly, which is rare for this model of revolver.

Forgot to mention an interesting detail, that to import these revolvers a tiny safety catch has been added (or was added in Shanghai), I am embarrassed to admit didn't even notice it until reading up on them. It's above the grips and once you see it you cannot unsee it. 

This dates the revolver to quite a later date, ways after Mr Fairbairn would have been around, but still a nice connection by unit insignia.