1/35 Scale M113 "GREEN ARCHER"

Proud Kraut

Proud Kraut

Welcome to another modelling project! Since this model was relaesed last year it was on the top of my wish list. The "Green Archer" was a British counter mortar/artillery radar mounted on a M113 with cut away rear. The system was developed in the 1960´s and in use by several NATO nations during the cold war. It was in service in the German artillery until the 1990´s

"Perfect Scale" is a small German modelling company focused on Bundeswehr and US Army vehicles. As far as I know it´s the first model of this vehicle in 1/35 scale.

Attached are pictures of the box label, the sprues with resin and PE parts, the vinyl tracks, decals and the excellent manual.

GA 01.jpg

GA 02.jpg

GA 03.jpg

GA 04.jpg

Hi Lars, this has nothing to do with model building, but it looks interesting, just want to show the Danish SSI from the Danish green archers, from mid 1970.

2023-05-18_073317.jpg

The Meatcan

Lars, that is a very unusual vehicle. I'm looking forward to your impressions of the kit and to see what you do with it.

Terry

Proud Kraut

Thanks very much Terry and thanks Henrik for posting this very nice woven Green Archer patch. It fits perfectly here! I´m adding mine as well. I think I traded it during one of the several NATO exercise in Munster or Oksboel with one of our Danish comrades in the late 1980´s/early 1990´s.

GA 05.jpg

• 2 months later...
Proud Kraut

When I first opened the box of this model I knew it would be a challange and indeed it was. Resin and PE parts only. Since the Green Archer project was started it took me many, many hours to get the model nearly done. So this is how the GA built looks like nearly finished.

The detail is amazing but in some cases overdone. I´m adding a photo of parts smaller than a pinhead. I simply did it without these.

GA 06.jpg

GA 07.jpg

GA 08.jpg

GA 09.jpg

Proud Kraut

A photo of the radar unit and the antenna before they were completed plus two shots of the whole GA with a coat of light grey primer.

GA 10.jpg

GA 11.jpg

GA 12.jpg

Proud Kraut

Thanks guys!

Painting tracks. I´m sure everybody has his own painting technique, here´s one of mine. I´m starting with a black primer (not necessary in this case because of the already black rubber tracks).

1. I have painted the tracks with a mix of dark brown and grey green.

2. After they have dried the tracks where paint-brushed with a mix of gunmetal grey and oily steel.

3. Finally the rubber pads were painted with black color mixed with dark grey.

Meanwhile the GA received a second primer of "yellow olive".

GA 13.jpg

GA 14.JPG

GA 15.JPG

GA 16.jpg

GA 17.jpg

Proud Kraut

The GA received two coats of Vallejo Grey Olive, which comes close to the pre-1985 Bw color "Gelboliv" - RAL 6014. After the details were painted and decals were applied I brushed the bottom of the chassis and the top of the hull with dark red pigments to give it a dusty look.

I´m nearly done with the Green Archer now. Two more things to fix: The MG is still a little bit too shiny and I still have to work on the dust.

So here are the photos of the nearly completed GA, enjoy!

GA 17a.jpg

GA 18.jpg

GA 19.jpg

GA 20.jpg

GA 21.jpg

GA 22.jpg

GA 23.jpg

9 hours ago, Proud Kraut said:

The GA received two coats of Vallejo Grey Olive, which comes close to the pre-1985 Bw color "Gelboliv" - RAL 6014. After the details were painted and decals were applied I brushed the bottom of the chassis and the top of the hull with dark red pigments to give it a dusty look.

I´m nearly done with the Green Archer now. Two more things to fix: The MG is still a little bit too shiny and I still have to work on the dust.

So here are the photos of the nearly completed GA, enjoy!

GA 17a.jpg

GA 18.jpg

GA 19.jpg

GA 20.jpg

GA 21.jpg

GA 22.jpg

GA 23.jpg

Awesome..... !!! 

Way to go Lars. Excellent painting and weathering of the GA. The red pigment for dust is excellent and the decals look like they were painted on.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Gear Fanatic

Will there be chipping?! There are so many good opportunities for chipping, oil stains, rust, and maybe even some gear or towels could be hanging off somewhere. It looks great! The red pigment really is a good touch, it visually goes well with the green.

Proud Kraut

Thanks for the kind feedback!

I think I will not do much more weathering etc. But I´m thinking about adding one or two figures. If I can find and add these I maybe would add some more gear and equipment as well.