101 Gun Salute June 28th 1919 - 'C' Battery, 190th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery

Gunner87

I thought to share some photographs, which some of our members may have seen, but also of my Great Grandfather in World War One.

Serving with 'C' Battery, 190th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery my Great Grandfather and his battery took part in the 101 Gun Salute carried out in Cologne on June 28th 1919 to mark the signing of the Treaty of Versailles. The gunners preparing for this event are captured in the first two photographs and being witnessed by onlooking soldiers from the Hohenzollern Bridge in the third. The fourth is my Great Grandfather, fifth is his battery on parade in St Marks Square, Wimbledon, South West London, where the unit was raised. He can be seen as the Right Hand Marker. Sixth is 'C' Battery photograph and lastly Corporals from 'C' Battery after the war. The rank of Bombardier didn't relate to full Corporals until 1920. 

I hope that is of some interest 

46D7986F-9E91-4883-A23D-703F88A48B9D.jpeg

9BC573E2-7AF9-4D53-8F6D-4C9537201E80.jpeg

1D3F13A3-551B-425B-A2D1-7B497FD3721F_4_5005_c.jpeg

C2E50117-9686-4CF5-B5C2-BEDC5EECE22A.jpeg

B4424CDA-36F8-4D2D-A288-22B4B5955F15.jpeg

AD518AB1-22F7-434C-B5AB-73A2EC03D0F6.jpeg

992E22E5-4455-415E-9AA9-6DA83400B19C.jpeg

What a wonderful story to know about your grandfather's service -- and to have the photos of him, too. Did he survive the war?

3 minutes ago, GCCE1854 said:

Did he survive the war?

Hello. Yes, he survived the war despite being wounded in 1918. You can see on the two Corporals left cuffs wound stripes in the last photograph. 

3 minutes ago, Gunner87 said:

Hello. Yes, he survived the war despite being wounded in 1918. You can see on the two Corporals left cuffs wound stripes in the last photograph. 

How interesting! I don't know very much about WWI uniforms and wouldn't have known about the wound stripes. 

Did your family pass down stories from your grandfather's service in the war?

I have access to a lot of old British newspapers (FMP) and would be happy to look up any family members, if you ever need help!

17 hours ago, GCCE1854 said:

How interesting! I don't know very much about WWI uniforms and wouldn't have known about the wound stripes. 

Did your family pass down stories from your grandfather's service in the war?

I have access to a lot of old British newspapers (FMP) and would be happy to look up any family members, if you ever need help!

My paternal Great Grandfather never spoke about his time in the Great War. This was also the case with my Grandfather who served in the Royal Navy and was at Sword Beach on D-Day. The photograph I posted on another thread was rescued from the trash by my Father. It was very much a generational thing, stemming from the World War One, not to discuss their experiences. This has changed over time with the last veterans opening up but so soon after both conflicts the subject was moot.

I actually have both Ancestry and Find My Past so access to there records but it is very kind of you to offer.

32 minutes ago, Gunner87 said:

My paternal Great Grandfather never spoke about his time in the Great War. This was also the case with my Grandfather who served in the Royal Navy and was at Sword Beach on D-Day. The photograph I posted on another thread was rescued from the trash by my Father. It was very much a generational thing, stemming from the World War One, not to discuss their experiences. This has changed over time with the last veterans opening up but so soon after both conflicts the subject was moot.

Oh, what a shame! That is/was so often the case. And I can see both sides of the story, since many of the experiences were probably difficult for them to relive. But as those experiences were hidden and buried, it diminishes the next generation's appreciation of what was done for them. So glad that the photograph was rescued from the trash and that you are now able to keep their memory alive.