A Photo Find of a Hollywood Actor Who Was In The Luftwaffe In WWII

patches

Fascinating... yes he is Tilman Kiwe, formerly Eduard-Heinrich Kiver aka Eduard Kiefer. Starred in The Longest Day, The Great Escape and The Eagle has Landed.

Yeah I never knew this, when I seen the photo of him, I just thought it was a shot of him from a 50s movie he might of been in, redirects told me different, and I was, like Wow. Seen he was in the HG Division. I checked my Bender book on the HG Division's RK Holders and he checked out. Kompanie Chef 2. Kompanie  Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung "Hermann Göring", and was captured in Africa, not sure exactly when he was awarded the RK, both Bender and Online sources give May 18 1943, but the elements of the HG that were in Africa (The Bulk of the HG was in Italy) surrendered or were rounded up and made prisoner on and around May 12, one source says the Red Cross forwarded it to the Allies for him. Would like to know more about that.

Here he is in The Longest Day as  Hauptmann Helmuth Lang, a real life officer, Lang, Aide to Rommel.

kiwe.PNG

1 hour ago, patches said:

Yeah I never knew this, when I seen the photo of him, I just thought it was a shot of him from a 50s movie he might of been in, redirects told me different, and I was, like Wow. Seen he was in the HG Division. I checked my Bender book on the HG Division's RK Holders and he checked out. Kompanie Chef 2. Kompanie  Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung "Hermann Göring", and was captured in Africa, not sure exactly when he was awarded the RK, both Bender and Online sources give May 18 1943, but the elements of the HG that were in Africa (The Bulk of the HG was in Italy) surrendered or were rounded up and made prisoner on and around May 12, one source says the Red Cross forwarded it to the Allies for him. Would like to know more about that.

Here he is in The Longest Day as  Hauptmann Helmuth Lang, a real life officer, Lang, Aide to Rommel.

kiwe.PNG

Well at least the costume department didn't have help dress him as I'm sure he was very familiar with the attire :) 

In the UK we had a very famous goalkeeper who played for Manchester City between 1949 and 1964 who was an ex Luftwaffe Feldwebel. Bernhard Carl "Bert" Trautmann served in the Fallschirmjäger and was taken POW. Bert was interned in England and began a career as a professional footballer and manager after the war. Trautman was awarded the EK (Iron Cross) during the war, BVO (Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany) in 1997 and the OBE (Most Excellent Order of the British Empire) in 2004 for his work in Anglo German.

D1A8F63E-0363-46BE-98CB-9E94A57733F9_4_5005_c.jpeg

0890244D-49AF-46F8-AD93-8469016CAE1A.jpeg