CHINESE THOMPSON SMG?

Guest Darktide

Guest Darktide

Saw this on the display at the Beijing Military Museum... The pics are a bit dark, as the display case wasn't well-lighted. Is this a Chinese copy?

post-9906-0-51405000-1436758906.jpg

post-9906-0-83323600-1436758894.jpg

post-9906-0-47176300-1436758917.jpg

Guest 101CH47

The Chinese did make copies of the Thompson, all that I have seen photos of closely resemble the Model 1928. Tracie Hill's Thompson: the American Legend has a two page chapter on these Chinese copies.

While the Thompson in the photo does resemble a Model 1923, the bipod is completely different as well as the foregrip. According to Hill's book the American made military version was chambered in .45 Remington-Thompson. Only five were built and only two are known to exist. One is at the West Point museum and the other is in a French military museum. Two civilian Model 1923s were built although they did not have the bipod assembly. Serial no. 2059 was chambered in .45 ACP and no. 2970 was chambered in .45 Remington-Thompson.

Guest Dirteater101

That has to be a Chinese copy. the mag is a standard size, not the "super wides" that were on the m1923's. Fore stock and charging handle also looks off.

The Chinese were great copiers and lover the .45 ball. So much they made broomhandle C-96's in that caliber! The one in the background of the oriental thompson looks like one of these large bore copy's.

But i have been wrong. Never underestimate an armys resourcefulness!

Guest kanemono

Hi,

My guess this is a Chinese copy. The Chinese loved Thompsons and Broomhandle Mausers. They made thousands of copies of both. This is a picture of a Thompson used by the Chinese and Chinese weapons from WW2 and Korea. Here also is a link to the history of the Thompson pictured. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=65171

Dick

post-9487-1267718249.jpg

Guest 101CH47
Hi,

My guess this is a Chinese copy. The Chinese loved Thompsons and Broomhandle Mausers. They made thousands of copies of both. This is a picture of a Thompson used by the Chinese and Chinese weapons from WW2 and Korea. Here also is a link to the history of the Thompson pictured. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=65171

Dick

No, that particular one is a US made example. Probably given to the Nationalist Chinese as lend - lease during WWII or following the war to fight the Communist Chinese. The Chinese did not duplicate the US markings. All the copies I have ever seen were 1928s.

Guest Jack's Son

Hello,

This may help.

Roughly translated the characters read; Province of Schwaan (on top), weapon People's Republic of China (bottom).

It says nothing about "made in" or "captured", no other markings to indicate it WAS made in China.

JS

Guest 101CH47

Hello,
This may help.

Roughly translated the characters read; Province of Schwaan (on top), weapon People's Republic of China (bottom).

It says nothing about "made in" or "captured", no other markings to indicate it WAS made in China.

JS

Over the years there have been a couple of articles in the TCA or TATA newsletter about Chinese copies.

No question these are Chinese copies. The example in the top photo belongs to the West Point Museum.

post-9906-0-62554800-1436759133.jpg

post-9906-0-49691500-1436759166.jpg

To give you the idea of the value of a Chinese copy - Chinese Copy Colt 1921 Submachine Gun Captured at Iwo Jima 5/19/07 $69,000.00
http://www.amoskeag-auction.com/ClassIIIsales.html

• 8 years later...

I don't about anyone else but there are no photos that appear in any of theses post and clicking on them gives me an error message. The links are no good as well as clicking on them gives me more error messages.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

It seems this thread was one of the non-standard "non-US" threads transferred over from USMF to populate this brother forum.

Preppy Picker
5 hours ago, SARGE said:

It seems this thread was one of the non-standard "non-US" threads transferred over from USMF to populate this brother forum.

Thank you for explaining, I should have realized that.