8-Pocket Web Cartridge Belt - South Korean Copy

Guest Jeffgsh

Guest Jeffgsh

I just picked up this khaki 8-pocket cartridge belt, I'm having a tough time pinning down an identity. It has what appear to be late WW2 fittings but the color (slightly greenish khaki) and the pocket configuration are strange. There are 4-pockets on each side with the first (closest to the buckle) being 5 inches wide, the remainder are only 2 inches wide. The belt pockets are all 4 1/2 inches tall. The webbing weight is consistant with late war examples I have with the exception of the connector belt (it's a bit light). There are no markings at all. Anyone ever seen one before? I've checked all my resources and can find nothing. If it's a repro it's a new one on me, why would anyone reproduce a non-standard configuration?

post-9399-1292466790.jpg

post-9399-1292466835.jpg

post-9399-1292466845.jpg

Guest Marchville1918

I wonder if 45 auto mags would fit into those wide front pockets (laying lengthwise). If they do perhaps it is related to mounted use or paratroops. I think I have seen this before, but rarely. If it was used by a service branch of any size it seems like it would be more commonly found.

Guest Jeffgsh
I wonder if 45 auto mags would fit into those wide front pockets (laying lengthwise). If they do perhaps it is related to mounted use or paratroops. I think I have seen this before, but rarely. If it was used by a service branch of any size it seems like it would be more commonly found.

Yeah, .45 mags fit quite well. But it seems strange to create a pocket when a standard vertical carrier would do.

Guest Keystone

I think we've seen this belt before on the forum (I've searched but couldn't find it). If I remember correctly they are foreign. I think the large pocket was for a detachable box magazine as on the British SMLE.

Tim

Guest Jeffgsh
I think we've seen this belt before on the forum (I've searched but couldn't find it). If I remember correctly they are foreign. I think the large pocket was for a detachable box magazine as on the British SMLE.

Tim

I don't have either, does anyone have the measurements for each mag? The webbing does look somewhat similiar to an english manufactured M1923.

Guest hotlead

Maybe made up for lend lease to the Russians for the SVT-40, I think their standard issue for that rifle was three mags and a bunch of rifle clips................. :think:

Guest Jeffgsh
Maybe made up for lend lease to the Russians for the SVT-40, I think their standard issue for that rifle was three mags and a bunch of rifle clips................. :think:

Interesting thought. I'm not sure the pouch is large enough for an SVT mag though

I was joking, but the idea it could be a medic personnel belt is not too crazy. If you compare it with the WWI medic officer belt with different size pouches there are similitudes. Craig owns a 1932 medic manual and he found in that manual my "never seen before" snapless M1912 medic pistol belt. It worths another trip on this booklet.

Guest J_Andrews

In green, 20 yrs ago surplus stores had such beltes with ONE large, horizontal pocket. They were South Korean and the odd pocket accepted a grenade.

Guest Jeffgsh
I was joking, but the idea it could be a medic personnel belt is not too crazy. If you compare it with the WWI medic officer belt with different size pouches there are similitudes. Craig owns a 1932 medic manual and he found in that manual my "never seen before" snapless M1912 medic pistol belt. It worths another trip on this booklet.

Joke or not it was worth the look to see if it was born this way. It appears so, for whatever reason it was made this way originally. I'm always attracted to the odd pieces. It's a curse that has impacted many aspects of my life.

Guest M60 Driver

Perchance I encountered the same belt today in a larger lot I purchased last month. I also found this belt on page 182 of Ken's Doughboy to GI where it is listed as of unknown date and manufacture, but did not find it in the reference section where I first looked here. My example has no markings of any sort.

post-779-1292623470.jpg

Guest craig_pickrall

Can one of you do a good close up photo of the LTD, both front and back. Also the details of the take up belt and both buckles would be helpful. Can anyone compare the material of the mystery belt to an equal and known US made belt? I think the material in this belt is different than the US made material.

Guest Jeffgsh
Perchance I encountered the same belt today in a larger lot I purchased last month. I also found this belt on page 182 of Ken's Doughboy to GI where it is listed as of unknown date and manufacture, but did not find it in the reference section where I first looked here. My example has no markings of any sort.

Wow, That's it alright. I'll drag out the camera and see if I can get some close-ups. The webbing weight reminds me of the wartime British manufactured M1923s. The take-up belt seems to be made of a lighter weight webbing.

Guest Jeffgsh
Wow, That's it alright. I'll drag out the camera and see if I can get some close-ups. The webbing weight reminds me of the wartime British manufactured M1923s. The take-up belt seems to be made of a lighter weight webbing.

Here's the fasteners

post-9399-1292642715.jpg

post-9399-1292642725.jpg

post-9399-1292642737.jpg

At first sight LTDs dont look like the ones used on US or "british made" stuff" and steel grommets stink post WWII. Possibly european or asiatic copy.