Rare Paratrooper Portrait (Army Jump Badge on Smock)

Eric Queen

I don't buy many German photos any more but I couldn't pass on this one. In 20 plus years of looking for Army Paratrooper photos I have only ever seen one other studio photo of the army badge being worn on the smock. And that one was part of a remembrance card.

KT0002 x.jpg

Both killer, Eric. EK draped over the harness is a neat little detail

I know Heer FJ would receive LW badges early on, but why do these LW FJ sport Heer badges?

Army (Fallschirm Infanterie) paratroopers were all awarded the Army (Heer) version of the badge first (Authorized on September 01, 1937). They continued to be awarded the army version of the badge until the FIB was transferred to the Luftwaffe as II./FJR1 on January 01, 1939. All former FIB members who qualified for the badge were authorized to continue to wear it instead of the Lw. version. Most former FIB members were awarded the Lw. version of the badge on December 18,1943 but very few elected to wear it instead of their original army badges.

Army (Brandenburg) paratroopesr were first awarded the Lw. version of the badge because by the time they came into existence (1940) the army badge was obsolete. It was re-instated on June 01, 1943 and most Brandenburger's wore the army version of the badge from than time onward.