• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Old Marine

Old Marine
  • Members
    • Member ID: 185,204
  • 168 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 12:39 PM

The Cross is the Austrian Iron Cross of Merit.  Any help with positively identifying the others would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dennis

Attached Images

• Austro medals.jpg

#2 Old Marine

Old Marine
  • Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 12:59 PM

Bulgarian and Hungarian WWI Veteran's commemorative medals.  Almost the same medals with different ribbons.  There is a slight difference in the size of the shield and wreaths on the backs of the medals.

Attached Images

• Austro Medals 01.jpg

#3 Dr_Rambow

Dr_Rambow
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 185,667
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 05:02 PM

Nice little collection, I must admit that I don't have many more than you! These are types in a category of easy to find yet quite varied and underappreciated medals. Now that I have a few uniforms with ribbon loops, I need to invest tome time procuring a few more like these!

The 2nd medal in your first photo is a JubiläumsErinnerungsmedaille für die bewaffnete macht, AKA 1898 jubilee medal. It has the incorrect ribbon, it should have an all-red ribbon like so.

The second 3rd medal in the first image is a Kriegsmedaille, also on the wrong ribbon. Should be black and yellow (not like the ribbon you already have unfortunately).

Attached Images

• s-l300.jpg
  • no4513-austria-hungary-general_360_394fbea7e4fc9ee6f7dd4bc2fc164eb4.jpg

#4 Old Marine

Old Marine
  • Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 07:36 PM

Thanks for the information. I noticed the cross and the war medal had the same ribbon and figured one of them was wrong. But for a flea market pick up I can't complain.

#5 RRA227

RRA227
  • Members
    • Member ID: 185,404
  • 415 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 03:28 PM

I think I have 1 or 2 like yours.  Rich A. in Pa.

#6 Dr_Rambow

Dr_Rambow
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 185,667
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 05:53 PM

Thanks for the information. I noticed the cross and the war medal had the same ribbon and figured one of them was wrong. But for a flea market pick up I can't complain.

Many Austro-Hungarian medals use the same white and red ribbon, it is confusing! They look like legit tri-fold ribbons so you can always use them if you come across different ribbons or other medals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users