Cap Ravens of the Nasjonal Samling

Brig

Previously, I posted some insignia from the Naval side of the Nasjonal Samling. I figured I'd post another thread about metal cap ravens.

The Nasjonal Samling used a variety of cap emblems...not nearly as many as the Third Reich, but there are enough types and they are rare enough that one could build a nice little collection, with plenty of patience, on them alone. I have been fortunate enough over the past few months to pick up 5 metal cap emblems, 3 of which are different types.

On top, is the cap emblem as used by the NS Youth organizations. These were stamped and silver washed, however far more often than not the silverwash is long gone. As with all of these NS cap emblems, there were three prongs on the back of thin wire. More often than not, one or more of these were missing, and it's not unusual to see the prongs intentionally removed and holes punched into the wingtips for sewing on the cap. I picked up two of these, and am fortunate that one has all three prongs, but one is also missing all three (shown). The NS emblem, the 'Sun Cross', is representative of what is believed to be have been the crest on Saint Olaf's shield. These were only ever painted on cap emblems. ENAMEL WAS NEVER USED on period cap ravens.

Second, is the cap emblem of the Rikshird. The Rikshird was essentially the SA of the Nasjonal Samling. These are a much high quality production, but again used the three wire prongs that are often missing. In this case, one remains. Once again, the Sun Cross was always painted, and NEVER enamel. A lot of reproductions exist that were produced in England around the 70s that have enamel crests...they have gathered enough patina, and the enamel is appealing, and thus often sell for big money. I have read that, for a very brief period early on, the GSSN used a silver version of this emblem, without the painted Sun Cross, but it is so rare I haven't seen one or know anyone who has. Thus, it was also ripe for the 1970s British reproduction market, which have had enough time to gather patina to fool hopefuls. Unlike other foreign SS units, the GSSN did not fall directly under the Germans, but was a branch of the Nasjonal Samling, though insignias and uniforms were often supplied by Germany. Many of the GSSN members did, however, serve abroad in various other units of the Waffen SS that were organized for Norwegian volunteers, and did fall directly under the SS.

The bottom is the cap emblem of the Unghirdmarine-the NS Naval Youth group. Identical to the standard youth emblem, however the Sun Cross was left unpainted for reasons unknown. I was fortunate enough to pick up two of these, both with all three prongs. It was previously discussed here... http://www.worldmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/314223-ravens-of-the-hirdmarine/

thumbnail (5).jpg

thumbnail (6).jpg

Thorvald Thronsen, chief of staff of the Rikshird, wearing the center cap emblem, this photo was found on another forum...he avoided conviction post-war by reason of insanity

Thronsen%20fra%20pinsestevnet%20i%20Borre,%201942.jpg

• 2 months later...

Figured I'd address the fakes here. I have seen 2 fake ravens sell on eBay in as many weeks. Real Nasjonal Samling stuff rarely appears on eBay, so these old fakes can be very tempting, especially since there is so little information on NS items on English speaking venues. But beware! The fakes, while aged naturally from being struck in the 60s-70s, are fairly easy to detect in that originals did not use flat prongs nor enamel!

This enamel emblem sold for $30, but had 7 bids. Either people knew it was fake, or it went largely unnoticed, thankfully...both the prongs and enamel give this one away. Nasjonal Samling did not use enamel on cap badges, and the enamel they did use is quite unique as it was opaque and had a 'puffy' appearance quite usually

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

This bird sold today for $175, and it wasn't even listed as Nasjonal Samling, but as pre-war Norwegian Air Force. It sold in the last minute for the starting price. The fat, flat prongs give this one away instantly...

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg