Unknown item

qed4

I got this from the wife of a dealer in Japanese items but unfortunately for both him and me he had died so everything came with no explanation. It is framed and I took the picture through the glass, it measures about 12 by 9 inches. It is printed of maybe painted on what I think was white cloth but now has much foxing and yellowing from age. I have no idea what it says or what it is so any help would be appreciated.

post-185324-0-84833800-1552840002.jpg

Is your measurement of the the frame? Actually, this piece should be much longer unfolded. This is a "towel" commonly issued to soldiers or sailors. They came in a number of forms with different military graphics on the front. Soldiers draped it around his neck or could tie it around his head as a sweat band or even a hashimacki. Generally designed to wipe sweat when working.They are still in use today. This particular one was a patriotic donation made in the hundreds , perhaps thousands, by an army officer named Saburo Endo who was in charge of army aviation ordinance. The two large kanji says "kamikazi". The rest below explains who donated it. I have seen these in picture of factory workers wearing them or something like it and even some military personnel. The one in my collection was obtained from a former army sergeant in Japan just after the surrender. He was training former Japanese soldiers to become police officers. He befriended one man and before he left Japan the towel was given to him by his friend. I know, its a story...but that is exactly how I came by it right out of the box of his military stuff and I have had mine since 1981. In any case its a good piece and if its uncut I would take it out of the frame.

Thanks for showing !

Thanks for the information and yes the measurement is the inside of the frame. I suspected as much but the small kanji at the bottom had me wondering. I opened the frame and it has been cut, quite ragged and uneven. I think it was framed in Asia some where as the entire frame, including the back board is mahogany which they use like we use pine. I am guessing it was made as a souvenir at the end of the war for GIs, telling them it was a Kamikazi pilot's head band.Thanks again.