Camo, Named Japanese Paratrooper Helmet

Eric Queen

Eric Queen

Nearly 40 years ago a friend of mine in the Seattle area picked this up from a man who had served with the 187th PIR. He was part of the contingent of "Rakkasans" at San Pablo Airfield (Leyte, PI) when the Japanese Army's 3rd Parachute Regiment launched an airborne assault during the night of December 6th, 1944. Additional objectives of the assault were the airfields at Buri and Burauen. I think the 187th is the only American Airborne regiment to have been assaulted from the air during WWII. This helmet was taken directly from one of those 306 Japanese Paratroopers.

I was fortunate enough to acquire the piece a couple years back. To me, the most historical Japanese Paratrooper helmet I have come across. I have owned three others over the years but to me they (although rare of course) were simply military surplus compared to this one.

This is a first model helmet (leather vs. cloth flaps)

Notice how it has been camouflaged for a night operation (by what appears to be wood stain or gun oil). It definitely is NOT post war applied lacquer or something like that.

post-3953-0-48944000-1440453192.jpg

Eric Queen

The mans surname KUBO ( ) is hand stitched to the interior of the helmet.

post-3953-0-74744500-1440453384.jpg

Such a rare piece in such fine condition! Beautiful example! Most of the para helmets have some form of damage to them, to have a first pattern, with original net, complete, and in this condition is truly outstanding!

Regards

Russ

Japamese Airborne? How incredibly rare that is on it's own but it's also named? Incredible!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...