Helmet kanji translation please

Stony

The red painted mark is "second class mark" it's the kanji for two encircled. Second class means there was something, usually not visible by eye that is inferior. Could be metallurgy or ?

The red painted mark is "second class mark" it's the kanji for two encircled. Second class means there was something, usually not visible by eye that is inferior. Could be metallurgy or ?

Thank you for the translation. Upon visually inspecting the helmet, I cannot see anything that would stand out as a defect. The suspension and mounts look good and nothing is broken or torn and everything seems to be there.

So what does the number 6 mean for the white kanji?

I have no clue...maybe it is numbered to a certain location. "Helmet #6?" You may never find out...

Thank you for the translation. Upon visually inspecting the helmet, I cannot see anything that would stand out as a defect. The suspension and mounts look good and nothing is broken or torn and everything seems to be there.

So what does the number 6 mean for the white kanji?

Stony,

The white kanji is not the number "6" but rather the helmet size....in this case it "Dai" meaning "large". If you look closely at sewn joint where the leather liner band is sewn together adjacent to the kanji painted on the flange, there should be a number of holes stippled through the leather. These holes should form the same character painted in white on the flange meaning the liner is a large also and matches the helmet. As said, the red is the number 2 inside a circle meaning the helmet is a second and defective in some way. You must look very carefully at the metal flange in the same area of where the painted kanji are and you may see that both the size and number 2 have been stamped into the metal but the paint often covers the stamps making them difficult to see. The manufacturers ink stamp on the "A" liner pad is not readable for me.

The two pair of goggles are nice also...the goggles that fold in the leather case are army all purpose military goggles and used by everyone for just about anything.....the second pair may be manufactured marked but more often are not marked. where the goggle strap is sewn to the frame. If the material roll around the frame is leather then these are for tank/armor use....if the roll is velveteen then they are intended as flight goggles. These goggles came in a cardboard box do not come with a case. Hope the information helps.

tiger41

I did look at the helmet on the inside with my magnifying headset, but didn't see any stamps. I will look more carefully per your suggestion.

The second pair of goggles are not marked (I'll check more closely tonight) and the material roll around the frame is leather, so tank/armor use per your information.

Thanks!

Stony,

The white kanji is not the number "6" but rather the helmet size....in this case it "Dai" meaning "large". If you look closely at sewn joint where the leather liner band is sewn together adjacent to the kanji painted on the flange, there should be a number of holes stippled through the leather. These holes should form the same character painted in white on the flange meaning the liner is a large also and matches the helmet. As said, the red is the number 2 inside a circle meaning the helmet is a second and defective in some way. You must look very carefully at the metal flange in the same area of where the painted kanji are and you may see that both the size and number 2 have been stamped into the metal but the paint often covers the stamps making them difficult to see. The manufacturers ink stamp on the "A" liner pad is not readable for me.

The two pair of goggles are nice also...the goggles that fold in the leather case are army all purpose military goggles and used by everyone for just about anything.....the second pair may be manufactured marked but more often are not marked. where the goggle strap is sewn to the frame. If the material roll around the frame is leather then these are for tank/armor use....if the roll is velveteen then they are intended as flight goggles. These goggles came in a cardboard box do not come with a case. Hope the information helps.

tiger41

Yes, the stitch holes match the kanji. I also found the symbols under the red paint and they look to be an inverted "V" and a star.

• 7 months later...
History Brick

I dont think that it is 6 (though the picture makes it a little hard to tell). But the kanji looks to be 大 (Dai) or large/big. The kanji for 6 is 六 (roku) and it looks to be dai not roku.