WWII Japanese Army Officers Sword

John4022

Hi guys, I sold some items from my collection to help me afford my first Japanese sword! Since its going to be an expensive purchase and I have never owned, let alone held an authentic sword, I would appreciate experienced collectors to look this sword over for me before I make the purchase. Thanks in advance!

-John

post-185343-0-61743400-1567043384_thumb.jpg

Hello John,

First off, the sword looks to be original from what I can see in the photographs. However, there are a few caveats for a new sword collector that you should be aware of that affect price.

With Japanese swords you are buying the blade... particularly so with "old swords". Having said that this is a late war military sword blade with no maker or date and the blade is in what I would call poor condition with black pitting. The aluminum Seppa (washer) confirms late war manufacture. The hilt is nice and complete with good wrapping and parts. The Fuchi (ferrule) does not have a press button to lock the sword into the scabbard so this scabbard is probably original to the sword. The scabbard appears to be a storage or plain Jane scabbard without the standard fittings one would expect to see on an officer sword. It does have a nice leather cover but it is missing the leather cover for the hilt that snaps onto this particular cover. This may or may not be the variation that you want as it is not a textbook early wartime sword.

I hope this is helpful in your decision making. Others will surely chime in as well.

Thank you Sarge for the great & enlightening response. I posted this sword on some other forums and that was the same consensus. This sword has a price tag of $800 and they felt that was way to expensive for this example. I feel like I jumped into wanting to buy a sword without much knowledge. I decided to give it some time, expand my knowledge, save up some money, and wait till a nice example to arise. I decided that I have my whole life ahead of me to get a nice example, and I'd like that example to be a nice one. Again, I really appreciate your response!

John,

I think you are making a good decision. I think you can find a nice representative example for around $800. if you are in no particular hurry.

Since the value of a Japanese sword is, more than other types of military sword, primarily in the blade that is what you should look at first. If the blade is blemished, chipped, pitted, or split disregard it. Look for a nicely polished blade (this is expensive to correct) with a temper line (Hamon) along the edge. This may be hard to see but the style of the cloudy temper line helps determine the value of the sword. Some Hamon are straight, some billow like clouds, and some form patterns. The more beautiful... the more expensive. These lines are the work of the smith and a good sword smith will generally sign his name (mei) on the tang of the blade. Look and see who was proud of their work to help determine value. Some very good smiths worked during the war and just because the sword may have been dated in say, 1943 does not mean the sword is not well made.

The Army Shin-gunto fittings will all be much the same so that does not really determine the value of the sword. However, the fittings should all be complete, fit well, and be correct. The grip bindings should be undamaged and tightly wrapped to secure the metal ornaments (Menuki) in the grip. Things such as a leather cover, sword tassel, or hanger add value to the sword.

I hope going on like this is helpful.

I find your comments extremely helpful Sarge and I greatly appreciate them. Its nice having a breakdown of what to look for when purchasing a sword, especially for an amateur like me.