Photo

Where British Army Units Awarded Croix de Guerre's in WWI & WWII, Not Many Right.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 patches

patches
  • Members
    • Member ID: 185,125
  • 178 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:37 PM

Where the British awarded as a unit the CdG and the subsequent Fourragere like U.S. Army units were, I mean why not right, they fought a whole lot of bloody actions in France in WWI, crucial battles, and again in WWII, 1940 and again in Normandy. I only seen one example, the 2nd Battalion Devonshire Regiment along with the 5th Battery Royal Artillery in WWI awarded a CdD w/ Palm for Bois des Buttes in May 1918, the first such award to a British Army unit. Should be a lot more awarded no,  maybe there's a list??? Then there's WWII, would figure a lot of CdG would of been awarded to units, but haven't seen anything so far.

Edited by patches, 03 September 2019 - 06:38 PM.

#2 Allan H.

Allan H.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 185,251
  • 68 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:26 AM

Patches,

The British armed forces have historically been very strict about allowing servicemen and women to accept foreign awards. Part of the reluctance to allow the bestowal of awards is that in many cases, there was an expectation of reciprocation from the awarding government. The British really don't like doing that sort of thing. Unofficially, the British have historically looked at awards made by the French government as being bestowed far too freely. When you compound this on the fact that France and England were enemies for so many centuries, there is still a lot of animosity felt against the French military. Even awards by the US were highly scrutinized, though they were more readily allowed in WWII and after. 

I hope this helps.

Allan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users