• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 patches

patches
  • Members
    • Member ID: 185,125
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 05:25 PM

While paging though my recently re-acquired  Roger James Bender books the Waffen SS, I've been re-noticing a badge worn by at least four to five different individuals, this one here in below photos, the enameled cross with swords, the one on Wuensche and on Meyer, what are these please.

tuo1_540.jpg meyer.jpg

Edited by patches, 26 February 2020 - 05:27 PM.

#2 John4022

John4022
  • Members
    • Member ID: 185,343
  • 100 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 06:26 PM

Bulgarian Bravery Order, 4th Class (1st Grade)

Attached Images

• 1.jpg

#3 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 07:29 PM

Hmmm, thanks John, a Bulgarian Award wow, I wonder under what circumstances Reichsdeutsche SS Men were awarded it, it seems so far only some officers of the  Leibstandarte SS were awarded it. Fritz Witt wears one too, he was at first in the SS Verfügungstruppe but was later transferred ot to the LAH.

witt.jpg

Here's Witt with it, as he interestingly is decorated with another foreign medal, which is unfortunately unknown to me  :lol: 

Edited by patches, 26 February 2020 - 07:30 PM.

#4 John4022

John4022
  • Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 08:06 PM

Its certainly interesting. The LSSAH did spend time in Bulgaria so maybe that's when they obtained it? I believe the theory is that if a German soldier served alongside foreign troops, the foreign officers could recommend them for their own medals. 

There are soldiers outside the SS that were awarded Bulgarian medals. Here is a Wehrmacht soldier with the Bulgarian Cross of Bravery, II Class. 

Attached Images

• 3.jpg

Edited by John4022, 26 February 2020 - 08:18 PM.

#5 John4022

John4022
  • Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 08:13 PM

And the other foreign award Fritz Witt has is the Order of the Star of Romania.

#6 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 08:36 PM

And the other foreign award Fritz Witt has is the Order of the Star of Romania.

Thank you.

Yes, we see the LAH was in Bulgaria in early 1941 to invade Greece, not sure why the Bulgarians gave these out. These seem to be 1943 photos, not 1941 ones because of the ranks of them that wear them and they really don't seem to wear them in other photos, though really by the end of the summer of 1944, these three examples of men I posted at least where no longer around, Witt was dead, Killed in Normandy, and Wuensche and Meyer were POWs Captured in Normandy in the case of Wuensche, and in Belgium in the case of Meyer. The Romanian award for Witt? maybe one for when elements of LAH were briefly in the Crimea?

#7 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 08:52 PM

Because of your ID John was able to find this page on the award, it basically clears it up, and gives a partial list of recipients of it, all LAH officers.

https://forum.axishi...opic.php?t=3061

As an aside regarding the Romanian medal or other Romanian medals, I would imagine some the first German officers to receive Romanian medals would be those of Regiment General Goering, who's Flak units in those days were posted to Romania in 1941 to guard the Ploesti Oil Fields, then of officers in those units of the 11th Army in the Crimea.

#8 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:22 PM

I was able to find some of the LAH offcers mentoned in the link wearing this badge, one would imagine it was not worn by them that much, and once Bulgaria Turned Coat in September 44, not worn at all anymore, who knows maybe even stricken from those individuals award list, official file and soldbuch.

102346a291eb52d1331.jpg

Walter Staudinger, wearing as we see another foreign badge, a throat order, need ID on that one.

ea3e8c4b7.jpg

Rudolf Sandig

phpZXjmBOPM.jpg

Hubert Meyer, Meyer on the right, officer on left is Heinrich Springer, Springer may or may not receved this Bulgarian Award as he was n LAH in Bulgaria and Greece, haven't seen a photo where he wears it, or really a photo where we see pocket to tell.

1_400.jpg

Arnold Jürgensen Panzermann

Edited by patches, 27 February 2020 - 07:25 PM.

#9 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:27 PM

z-witt.jpg

And finally Fritz Witt in another photo during that award of the Romanian medal.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users