WW2 Japanese Flag Assistance

Wharfmaster

Wharfmaster

I found this flag in an antique shop years ago. The hand print seemed unusual.

I would very much like to know if the soldier's name and unit are found on the flag.

Many thanks,

Wharf

post-185418-0-43727900-1583197985_thumb.jpg

I don't see the owners name anywhere on the flag. The main slogan is done in the large characters on the upper right side. Tanshin Houkoku = Sincerity and Patriotism

eee.jpg

Fortunes Of War

Hello Wharf-

Based upon the images, this seems to be a nice hinomaru yosegaki with handprint; overall, these are not real common. I also see a few other slogans, including: Ki Buun Chokyu (I Pray Your Military Fortunes Are Long Lasting), just above the hand print and in the upper left the slogan for Serving With Utmost Sincerity or Self-Serving Service (tough for me to read). The black hand print often told the story about a family with a small child, too little to write the complicated kanji for their own name. Often, their print would be the only thing that could reflect their participation in an adult's going away to war. Technically, anyone could have placed a hand print (not very common) and you often see quite large ones added that were from an adult or the flag's owner themselves. The Japanese also have the custom where sumo wrestlers give their hand prints and signatures to collectors. I can't say for certain which this one would be, however.

MikeB

Wharfmaster

Hello Wharf-

Based upon the images, this seems to be a nice hinomaru yosegaki with handprint; overall, these are not real common. I also see a few other slogans, including: Ki Buun Chokyu (I Pray Your Military Fortunes Are Long Lasting), just above the hand print and in the upper left the slogan for Serving With Utmost Sincerity or Self-Serving Service (tough for me to read). The black hand print often told the story about a family with a small child, too little to write the complicated kanji for their own name. Often, their print would be the only thing that could reflect their participation in an adult's going away to war. Technically, anyone could have placed a hand print (not very common) and you often see quite large ones added that were from an adult or the flag's owner themselves. The Japanese also have the custom where sumo wrestlers give their hand prints and signatures to collectors. I can't say for certain which this one would be, however.

MikeB

Mike, thank you very much. Interesting and helpful.

Wharf

• 3 weeks later...