strap shoulder LC-1, 1976 in desert color

Guest usmc-collector

Guest usmc-collector

Just got set of LC1 straps for ALICE pack, both are made of tan nylon, one is type with quick release buckle, second is type without quick release buckle. Nicely stamped with 1976 contract. Does anybody has other GI contract marked desert gear dated to 70s? I think these is not much common gear, mainly for testing purposes. Any additional information welcomed.

JAROSLAV

post-31-1189074951.jpg

post-31-1189074982.jpg

post-31-1189075002.jpg

Guest craig_pickrall

I think most of that tan gear made in the 70's / 80's was for the Saudies. It was available in most surplus stores and mail order companies of the period too. Some was unmarked, some was marked US, some was marked SAA and some had SAA plus the Arabic characters under the SAA. Most of the common web gear, including ALICE packs, was made in tan. Later there was the same gear made for US use but with later dates.

Guest usmc-collector
I think most of that tan gear made in the 70's / 80's was for the Saudies. It was available in most surplus stores and mail order companies of the period too. Some was unmarked, some was marked US, some was marked SAA and some had SAA plus the Arabic characters under the SAA. Most of the common web gear, including ALICE packs, was made in tan. Later there was the same gear made for US use but with later dates.

thanks for information, but what is interesting is low 1976 US contract date, have not seen many items made of tan nylon with these early dates, maybe would be interesting to see if other members have pouches, canteen covers and etc. stamped these early dates and made of tan nylon

JAROSLAV

Guest craig_pickrall

I have more info now,

I noticed in your original post that you commented on the Quick Release only on the right side strap. That is correct. That dates back to the Vietnam era on the Rucksack with riveted frame. I don't think they made any of those straps with a left side Quick release.

I have several pieces of that tan gear but it is not in a central location. It is spread over many boxes and is very time consuming to dig out. I have done a representative piece to show the markings I described earlier. The US makes standard military gear for many countries around the world. It is made exactly like the issue gear but will be unmarked as for the US stamp or in some cases it will be marked with the intended user country logo. The manufacturers will also continue a production run after a government contract to make product for sell to commerical stores. What ever the current issue stuff is at any given time is usually plentiful on the surplus market. You can buy this nylon web gear in many different colors never used by the military.

I think 1981 was the first year of issue for the 6 color "chocolate chip" pattern desert camo uniforms. It followed, that tan gear was made to go with this, in short order. The earliest date I saw for US issue tan, in the quick look that I just did, was 1982.

First up is a Saudie marked 1976 dated tan cover for the 2 quart canteen. Following that is the same cover made for the US military with a 1982 date.

• 1 year later...
Guest sgtmonroe
Just got set of LC1 straps for ALICE pack, both are made of tan nylon, one is type with quick release buckle, second is type without quick release buckle. Nicely stamped with 1976 contract. Does anybody has other GI contract marked desert gear dated to 70s? I think these is not much common gear, mainly for testing purposes. Any additional information welcomed.

I know this topic is a little old but I wanted to throw some more information towards this subject. Craig is dead on concerning this. The LC-1 shoulder straps are SAA [saudi Arabian Army]. We, meaning our government and government contractors, manufacture ALICE system components for the SAA, and have for years. Some of these items end up in the U.S., but they are rare. The only SAA ALICE system item I have ever come across is the LC-1 pack frame. Normally the items are marked with "SAA" and the same in Arabic.

Here is an image of a SAA soldier wearing six-color desert BDUs [they are manufactured in the U.S. and differ from our old six-color BDU slightly]. He has a U.S. M1 helmet with a U.S. Mitchell camouflage pattern helmet cover [reverse side out] and tan nylon "last-pattern" chin strap. He is wearing tan ALICE equipment included an individual equipment belt, individual equipment belt suspenders, water canteen cover, field pack, and field pack shoulder straps. The e-tool cover is a U.S. M-1943. The weapon is a SAA manufactured [licensed] G3A4.

SAA.jpg

Again the shoulder straps you have are SAA as positively verified by the National Stock Number of 8465-01-015-0402, which is assigned to the SAA LC-1 right shoulder strap for the ALICE field pack. Here are the NSNs for some of the other ALICE items manufactured for the SAA [all are manufactured in tan nylon duck and web]:

8465-01-010-8767 - Belt, Individual Equipment [LC-1 with brass hook and loop buckle, size medium]

8465-01-010-8768 - Belt, Individual Equipment [LC-1 with brass hook and loop buckle, size large]

8465-01-011-5884 - Case, Field First Aid Dressing - Unmounted Maganetic Compass [LC-1]

8465-01-011-5885 - Carrier, Intrenching Tool [LC-1 EVA plastic version for tri-fold e-tool]

8465-01-011-9106 - Suspenders, Individual Equipment Belt [LC-1 "Y" version]

8465-01-012-5967 - Cover, Water Canteen [LC-1 for one-quart water canteen]

8465-01-013-4771 - Frame, Field Pack [LC-1 ALICE pack frame]

8465-01-013-4877 - Cover, Water Canteen [for two-quart water canteen - like the one Craig has posted an image of]

8465-01-013-7386 - Field Pack [LC-1 large ALICE field pack]

8465-01-013-9357 - Strap, Webbing [LC-1 ALICE field pack waist strap]

8465-01-015-0401 - Strap, Webbing [LC-1 left ALICE field pack shoulder strap]

8465-01-015-0402 - Strap, Webbing [LC-1 right ALICE field pack shoulder strap]

8465-01-033-1824 - Case, Small Arms Ammunition [for the G3 rifle - similar in design to the U.S. Navy M-1967 M14 case - holds two mags]

Of course there are many other items manufactured, as well as the ancillary components such as water canteens, water canteen cups, e-tools, etc. manufactured by us for the SAA.