• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Examples of WW2 era British paratrooper wings

Hi guys just browsing through this topic and I may help with an I.d. Of a wing or two

post-197115-0-25882600-1586143145.jpeg

Is 1960s Rhodesian Army (less the normal padding and stuck on a brass backing plate for easy removal from uniform.this is on battle dress material. Below are 1970s era on green felt and on drill green for the camp shirt

post-197115-0-90175700-1586143482.jpeg

post-197115-0-46602600-1586143516.jpeg

• 7 months later...

Here is a British paratrooper wing that I did a double take on as it was described as being of WW2 vintage.  It does look old however the key to determining if you have a WW2 era British paratrooper wing (or early Post War 1950s) from the current British paratrooper wings is the direction of the threads in the wings.  If you look at the photos of the three British paratrooper wings below the thread direction are inward at a diagonal for the one that sold on eBay out of the UK and a current mint British paratrooper wing.  The third wing is of WW2 vintage and the threads are parallel to the ground which is what you look for.

Brit Sneaky Current (2).jpg

Brit Sneaky Current (1).jpg

Brit4.jpg

Brit3.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

Tonomachi, thanks for this fantastic reference! I do not collect British Airborne insignia but over the decades some wings found their way into my "misc insignia boxes". Going through your posts I´m almost sure that my examples are 1) all British 2) all post WW II. Is that correct?

Lars

Para1.jpg

Para2.jpg

On 11/18/2020 at 12:37 PM, Proud Kraut said:

Tonomachi, thanks for this fantastic reference! I do not collect British Airborne insignia but over the decades some wings found their way into my "misc insignia boxes". Going through your posts I´m almost sure that my examples are 1) all British 2) all post WW II. Is that correct?

Lars

Para1.jpg

Para2.jpg

These are all mostly current British paratrooper wings.  I forgot to mention that this rule regarding the direction of the threads in the wings of these British paratrooper wings covers the majority of the WW2 era British paratrooper wing with the exception of one particular style that has thin feathering with pointed ends (see below).  This so far is the only WW2 era British paratrooper wing that doesn't follow the thread direction rule.

Brit Padded Para Wing (2).JPG

Brit Para WW2 Combo (2).JPG

Brit thin feathers (2).jpg

Brit.jpg

Now here is one advertised as a British WW2 era paratrooper wing that looks like the ones above with the thin wings and pointed ends but it is not of the claimed era.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Here is another that may look like the thin feathering with pointed end tips but it is not and either a copy of a more current British paratrooper wing.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

That´s what I thought, thanks very much! Again, this is an excellent topic and pinned for further reference from now on.

• Proud Kraut pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is a tough one to determine authenticity.  The front looks pretty convincing however my gut says reproduction due to the jumbled thick threads on the reverse and the fact that the eBay seller has a LRDG beret badge which is obviously a copy yet being sold as original.  You see this jumbling of thick threads on reproduction SAS beret badges and wings.  The chute of this British paratrooper wing mimics the early layered variant which I have never come across before on a reproduction.    The more I look at this wing the more uncertain I feel.  I'm not 100% sure this is a copy but I have been collecting WW2 era British paratrooper wings for going on 40 years now and I haven't come across this variant before so you never know.  

Brit.jpg

Brit1.jpg

Edited by Tonomachi
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is a genuine older British paratrooper wing that just sold on eBay that is the dark colored background version of the one in Post #27.  The actual background color may be dark blue instead of black which may indicate an RAF piece which would push the era of this piece into the post war era instead of WW2.

para.jpg

Para1.jpg

Here are more examples of what are probably all Far East WW2 British or Commonwealth paratrooper wings where they have been modified by the wearer so they can be removed from the uniform prior to laundering like the piece in Post #40.  I don't own any of these but kept photographs for future reference. 

PB Brit Common Styles (4).jpg

PB Brit Common Styles (5).jpg

PB Brit Indian Para Wing (3).JPG

PB Brit Indian Para Wing (2).JPG

PB Brit Indian Para1 (2).jpg

PB Brit Indian Para1 (1).jpg

PB Brit Para WW2 Combo (4).JPG

PB Brit Para WW2 Combo (5).JPG

Brit Rare Wing (2).jpg

Brit Rare Wing (1).jpg

In Post #1 I mentioned that the first style WW2 British paratrooper wing was the only one with the three layered embroidery in the chute.  Well I was wrong as I came across this piece which I found on an auction site.  The embroidery in the wings are similar to the version in Post #28.  I don't know who the successful bidder was but this is the only one I have ever come across in 40 plus years of collecting.  

Edited by Tonomachi
Error

I kept these photos of a brass back plate of the type sewn on the back of WW2 British paratrooper wings so they could be removed from their uniform prior to laundering.  

PB2 (1).jpg

PB2 (2).jpg

PB1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Great updates. The pin-on wing shown at the top of post #87 looks like a match for the one I posted in #67. My wing came from the son of an OSS officer who served in SF Det 3rd Army in the ETO and OSS Det. 202 in the CBI