WW2 Era British Paratrooper Wings

Tonomachi

Another copy (photos 1 & 2) that the seller is being honest and selling as a reproduction however once it changes hands some folks will try to sell them off as originals.  

Here is one (Photos 3 & 4) that I'm not sure about.

Fake France eBay (1).jpg

Fake France eBay (2).jpg

DSCF3393.JPG

DSCF3394.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a 1951 documentary concerning a specific class going through the paratrooper training provided at a British Airborne School.  There were close ups of a specific British paratrooper wing being issued during the class graduation.  I was able to take a couple of screen shots which shows the same third style wing (thicker style) in Post 3 being issued in 1951.  As mentioned in the previous post this is the most abundant WW2 era British paratrooper wing that you come across because it continued to be issued after the war and this documentary sort of proves this.

1951 British Abn Clip (6).JPG

1951 British Abn Clip (3).JPG

1951 British Abn Clip (5).JPG

1951 British Abn Clip (1).JPG

1951 British Abn Clip (4).JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a genuine British paratrooper wing mentioned in Post 3 that is the most abundant variety that you come across because they were issued both during and after WW2.  This one seems to have remnants of blanco I spoke about which is a white paste that the British military used to whiten their web gear.  Due to the blanco I would consider this more of a WW2 era piece.

Brit Blando (1).jpg

Brit Blanco (2).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this on an auction site and feel that with the exception of maybe the cuff parachute patch (light bulb) on the second page the rest of these WW2 era British paratrooper wings are fake.

DSCF4052.JPG

DSCF4053.JPG

Here is a unique wing that has a chance of being original and described as an SOE piece.  What I don't like about it is the reverse as it just looks too mint for something that is supposed to be almost 80 years old.

Brit SOE (1).jpg

Brit SOE (2).jpg

Brit SOE (3).jpg

Brit SOE (4).jpg

triplecanopy

Dennis,

Thanks for posting all you did of the above wings. I got quite an education. I never much paid attention to all the thread nuances.

I'll need to check mine against the details you mention.

It didn't take long for the new crop of fake WW2 era British paratrooper wings to pop up for sale on eBay being sold of course out of the UK.  They are from the same batch of fakes as the previous post above.  They have gotten better at making these counterfeit wings with the feather threading being parallel to the ground, the rear return threading looks very convincing and the this tan backing material you do sometimes come across on genuine wings.  The chute, risers and basket are real close so buyer beware.  There is nothing specific to point out as to how to tell the real stuff from these new crop of fakes as it takes an experienced eye to tell the difference after handling so many examples in the past.   I would say if you encounter a possible WW2 era British paratrooper wing with this type of tan colored coarse weave backing material to be extra careful and seek the opinions of other collectors.   

Brit Fakes 2023 (1).jpg

Brit Fakes 2023 (2).jpg

Brit Fakes 2023 (2).png

Brit Fakes 2023 (3).png

Brit Fakes 2023 (4).png

Brit Fakes 2023 (5).png

Brit Fakes 2023 (6).png

Brit Fakes 2023 (7).png

Another example of the new crop of fakes being sold on eBay.

Brit Para Fake (9).png

Brit Para Fake (10).png

• 4 months later...

Here are photos of a fake British paratrooper wing which is the same one pictured above of the bottom most piece in Post 57.  The counterfeiter has gone to the trouble of sewing it onto a rectangular piece of Denison smock and written a message on the reverse.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404562658998?hash=item5e31d046b6:g:qFIAAOSwfYplMqPe&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwJ4yYGrY87W3tRS%2FN5bFInBBmSaG6sblEKbhbTxPfu5Wvz7%2B7xmOqJn7IKKioeukRWQKK8C7O0%2BqIhmY0Rg6a4lRjRilh%2BuyT0yvJ8b4bLO4aHqkUx7GVvt2Hp5QAtsf9U1%2BdEi7DG4kdCBQ9nESBX6nDy9AqbKAIbTF5W4%2FYlLUz9%2BT2ixdrFdkXAigiMwjqhb5cG99nP6rCnGELI9vL7H%2BYv%2B3aOyWKSYOTs%2Bav7Vx6l1hcmKQYtUXoVVwZjcALQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR7CQ-73qYg

5.png

5a.png

Here is an interesting WW2 Indian made CBI or Far East British/Indian paratrooper wing on a black background.  It has what looks like either blanco or white paint that is flaking off on the front and an affixed rear brass plate and pin back assembly for easy removal prior to laundering.  

7.jpg

7a.jpg

• 2 months later...
albatrosdva

I joined this forum just for this fascinating post. I'd love to get your opinion on this wing I have. It is on a 1943 dated Battle Dress that belonged to Hilary King who jumped into occupied Yugoslavia as part of the Maclean SOE mission. I shared it on Facebook and someone said it was a fake and I don't know enough to know whether it is or not. It's certainly odd. 

PXL_20240111_130447825.MP.jpg

Just now, albatrosdva said:

I joined this forum just for this fascinating post. I'd love to get your opinion on this wing I have. It is on a 1943 dated Battle Dress that belonged to Hilary King who jumped into occupied Yugoslavia as part of the Maclean SOE mission. I shared it on Facebook and someone said it was a fake and I don't know enough to know whether it is or not. It's certainly odd. 

PXL_20240112_125131358.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Fallschirmwomble
On 10/21/2023 at 9:46 PM, Tonomachi said:

Here are photos of a fake British paratrooper wing which is the same one pictured above of the bottom most piece in Post 57.  The counterfeiter has gone to the trouble of sewing it onto a rectangular piece of Denison smock and written a message on the reverse.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404562658998?hash=item5e31d046b6:g:qFIAAOSwfYplMqPe&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwJ4yYGrY87W3tRS%2FN5bFInBBmSaG6sblEKbhbTxPfu5Wvz7%2B7xmOqJn7IKKioeukRWQKK8C7O0%2BqIhmY0Rg6a4lRjRilh%2BuyT0yvJ8b4bLO4aHqkUx7GVvt2Hp5QAtsf9U1%2BdEi7DG4kdCBQ9nESBX6nDy9AqbKAIbTF5W4%2FYlLUz9%2BT2ixdrFdkXAigiMwjqhb5cG99nP6rCnGELI9vL7H%2BYv%2B3aOyWKSYOTs%2Bav7Vx6l1hcmKQYtUXoVVwZjcALQ%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR7CQ-73qYg

FakeWings.png.c63a64aa8c6de2277d48b9a5b862a599.png

MANY THANKS, TONOMACHI!

The afore-mentioned eBay listing (to preserve the info 'cause eBay will eventually delete it):

FakeWingsSale-23oct-a.jpg.f95e4e899c1a8e1e5fe218a7ffdae600.jpg

The item on eBay last week that I nearly bid on:

FakeWingsSale-24jan-a.jpg.df066712aae9f02c806c8c4783206926.jpg

It didn't leave the UK, it seems - but the original buyer either rejected it or is passing it on, again.

"Both" sellers seem to have a fixation with listing the auction to close at 2000HRS. With only a feedback number of 12, I'm inclined to guess that it's the same seller as before.

It disgusts me that they've heartlessly and uber cynically tried to make their fraud seem more authentic by exploiting a real person's death. It's far worse than "stolen honour". Pte J Riddell was a member of 8 PARA, KIA during Op Varsity.

https://www.paradata.org.uk/people/john-w-riddell

https://www.paradata.org.uk/media/8492

Tonomachi
On 1/12/2024 at 4:52 AM, albatrosdva said:

PXL_20240112_125131358.jpg

Sorry but I think it is a copy.  It does not match any of the known styles of WW2 British paratrooper wings so you think maybe a theater made piece.  However if you go back to Post 9 there are two fake WW2 British paratrooper wings at the very top of the post and the bottom most one is this very same wing in my opinion.