Helmet Dad Sent Home

ww1collector1

Thank you for posting this. It is an Army model M35, which looks to be field over-painted - hence the subdued decal.

Picture angle might be tricking my eye a bit, but I would suspect it is a size 62 from the shape of the dome.

ww1collector1

Yep, it appears to be. Having been hit by flying metal in my career, it looks like it! He removed the liner before sending it to my cousin. The pins and metal ring are as thight as the day they were put in though. Dad never talked about it, then again, I never talked about Vietnam either.

Jack the Collector

First of all sir,I say this in all earnest,thank you for your service! Secondly that helmet is one of those most collectors hunt for...war wounds are a serious and sad,but a helmet like that reminds us of the realities of what w collect.

ww1collector1

I’m paying for the foolishness of youth every day now that I’m 70! lol Wouldn’t trade my 30 for a million bucks, wouldn’t do it again for a million! Every new doctor I go to asks me where the funny holes and scars came from. I have a set reply, spousal abuse! lol Of course she is sitting right there!

ww1collector1

First of all sir,I say this in all earnest,thank you for your service! Secondly that helmet is one of those most collectors hunt for...war wounds are a serious and sad,but a helmet like that reminds us of the realities of what w collect.

Actually, my guess is that puncture happened while the helmet was laying on the ground. Sine I wasn’t there, this is just a WAG. Dad died in 1982, so, can’t ask him! awe never talked about any of it. The only thing he ever said to me is “War is an ugly, shinola business” All I said was damn right, we ought to send the political types to fight them. They’d stop real quick!