What goes in this Japanese Shipping Container???

kaydees

Can anyone tell me or post an image of what goes in this Japanese WWII Fuse shipping Container?? I know the Translation on the lid says;

Top row: Type 88 fuze, second version.

Packing number: Toyo ARQ (the Toyo is probably short for Toyokawa, as seen below)

Far left, upper vertical column of two characters: Powder.

Upper band to the right of that: Type M66

Lower band to the right of that: Showa 16, second month (February 1941).

Far left, lower column of two vertical characters: Fuze (primer, detonating part)

Upper band to the right of that: Production date: Showa 19, 3rd month (March, 1944).

Lower band to the right of that: Place of manufacture: Toyokawa Arsenal

Two lines at the bottom: Caution: Do not open except for actual use or inspection.

I have posted images of the Shipping Container and the last image shows a shipping container for the Type 88 Fuse with the shipping container in question. The canister is 6 3/4 inches tall and 2 3/4 inches in diameter. You can see the three wooden blocks and the felt.

I want to thank any help in advance and will post again after words.

IMG_3644.JPG

IMG_3645.JPG

IMG_3646.JPG

IMG_3647.JPG

2 hours ago, Rod said:

八八式信管二型, 2nd model fuse for Type 88

http://navgunschl.sakura.ne.jp/koudou/ijn/buki/ammo/fuze/fuze_type88.html

Google has a page you can copy and paste the link address into which will translate the page into English. You will have to do a search for it. 

Cheers! 

Rod,

I am a little confused. The date on the cab says 1941 but your link,

type Weapon adoption date Type of gun used

Eighty-eight type fuze January 1964 Fifty-two caliber twelve caliber regular shots
 Forty-nine caliber twelve caliber high-angle guns regular bullets
 Forty-five caliber twelve caliber high-angle guns regular bullets
 Forty-five caliber twelve caliber No. 4 regular bullets
 Type 98 Twenty-seven high -angle guns Gun Regular Shot
 Fifty Caliber High-angle Gun Regular Shot

Eighty-eight type fuze July 1964 Same as above

Eighty-eight type fuze type 2 February 1948 In addition to the above, the same as above
 94 type 40 gun zero type normal bullets
 40 gun zero type regular bullets
 36 sixty gun zero type regular bullets

Type 88 Fuze Type 3 February 1945 

Type 88 Fuze Type 4 

I am not sure this is the same type of fuse that was in the shipping container.

Do you have an image of the fuse???

kaydees

Dwight

Hi Dwight,

Sorry, I'm not an ordinance guy so no access to pics. If you used translation software on the page, and it reads that way, it's is not an altogether surprising outcome. Sometimes it's great and sometimes it misses meanings altogether, the programmers may not have anticipate military related translations. 

"Type 88" was for 2588, the year it was accepted for use by the Japanese army. 2588 in the Japanese imperial year calendar is 1928 in our calendar.

Hi Dwight, the dates I see on both are 16 ( 1941) 2 ( February ), and 19 ( 1944 ) 3( March), sorry I'm not an ordnance guy either.

Bill

Thanks to Ed. Strazdes at Inert-Ord.Net the answer has been solved. Through research, he found out that there are four more Type 88 fuses.

ED found four other “Type 88” fuzes:

Type 88 Model 4 Instantaneous-Delay Fuze , 12cm &20cm Guns

Type 88 Model 2 Nose Fuze, 12cm-20cm Guns

Type 88 Small (Gun) Base Fuze, 15cm Guns

Type 88 Small (Howitzer-Mortar) Base fuze,  12cm & 150mm howitzers

These are navy fuses used on the big guns.

I am still looking for an image of the fuse with the gaine. I would also like to purchase one if any members have one. These are really rare and there is no record of one being sold.

Great research project.

kaydees

Dwight Brown

247462243_PossibleFuseforshippingcontainer.jpg.36f82f8bc46e92df77d8acd4b9cea55d.jpg795310422_PossibleFuseforshippingcontainertip.jpg.862a98ddc657ae3b233c1d40042f1597.jpg

I just got these images of the fusewith the gaine and the Shipping Container it goes in. There is also an image of the Type 88 Model 2 with an exploded gaineimage001-2-768x576.jpg.ff63bd67d76c3af97fa30dc53934748f.jpgimage017-470x470.jpg.61bb6a6aa92e8a117e9969120b743004.jpgUntitled.jpg.9af5dd1161b59938551ca44df983f58a.jpg

kaydees

Dwight