Gold Medal & Cross for General of Peninsular War?

I'm researching a Major-General on Wellington's Peninsular Staff (William Henry Pringle). He was awarded the "Gold Medal and Gold Cross" for his actions at several battles. Apparently, these were on the market some thirty years ago -- and you can see the Gold Cross, I believe, in his portrait attached here. I don't know anything about medals previous to the Crimean War, so I'm hoping someone here could fill in some details about the significance of the Gold Medal and Cross. Why were they awarded? Were they only for certain ranks? Anything like that.

He was also awarded a KCB after the war, which is why I cannot seem to find any info about his Medal and Cross.

Thanks! 

Pringle,_Lt_Gen_William_Staffordshire_Regiment_Museum.jpg

• 2 years later...

Bumping this in hopes that some here may have more details about this type of medal. I'd still be interested in learning about it. Thanks!

8 minutes ago, GCCE1854 said:

Bumping this in hopes that some here may have more details about this type of medal. I'd still be interested in learning about it. Thanks!

The well know auctioneers Spink give a very informative explanation of what the Gold Cross was awarded for and who qualified for the award. https://www.spink.com/media/view?id=426 

Thanks! Adding some bits from that link, in case others are interested here.

"The only “campaign” awards produced at the time [of the Peninsular War] were the very elegant and distinctive gold crosses and medals granted to officers. The first example, perhaps establishing a precedence, came in 1806 in the form of the Gold Medal awarded by order of the Commander in Chief, the Duke of York, to 17 officers for their service at the battle of Maida in Calabria. This featured on its obverse the profile and titles of Prince George as Regent, while its reverse bore the name of the battle and a bellicose Britannia advancing with spear and shield, being crowned with laurel by a “Winged Victory”. For some reason, this design prototype was not continued - the Army Gold Medals eventually established in 1810 were plainer, carrying on the obverse an image of Britannia seated on a globe, proffering a laurel wreath in her right hand, and in her left hand, which rests upon a Union shield leaning against a globe, a palm leaf; at her feet lies the “British lion”. The reverse simply carried the name of the action being commemorated, enclosed within a laurel wreath.

Apart from the distinctive Maida version, there were eventually three types of award - the Large Gold Medal (restricted to General officers), the Small Gold Medal (to lower ranking officers) and the Army Gold Cross. They originate from an Order of 9th of September 1810 which authorized the bestowal of a gold medal on 107 senior officers for their distinguished service at the battles of Roleia and Vimiera (1808), the cavalry actions of Sahagun and Benevente (1808), Corunna and Talavera (1809). The awards were added to (later battles commemorated) as the war progressed.

Both the Army Gold Cross and the Gold Medal were only awarded, with just a few known exceptions, to Field Officers (i.e. those who commanded a unit) or higher-ranking staff officers, such as Divisional or Brigade commanders. They really represent rewards for distinguished service in command “under fire”, rather than being specifically gallantry or general service medals - though undoubtedly many recipients did display gallantry in the relevant action.

It was originally intended to give a separate gold medal for each action to which the recipient became entitled (i.e. one officer could wear more than one medal) but in 1813 it was announced that gold clasps would be awarded to the original medal, just carrying the name of the battle. Each medal was enclosed in glass lunettes whose frame bore the name of the recipient engraved on its rim. They were worn from what became known as “the Military Ribbon of Great Britain” - dark red with narrow blue edges; the Army Gold Crosses and Large Gold Medals were worn around the neck and the Small Gold Medal on the breast. They were awarded with extra clasps, as earned, these taking the form of chunky gold bars simple bearing the name of the action within a decorative foliage surround. The Gold Cross was awarded to officers who already possessed the Gold Medal with two clasps (i.e. rewards for three actions); the Cross then showed on its obverse arms the names of the initial three actions and the fourth for which the Cross became the reward. The reverse was the same. It too could be awarded with extra clasps, if earned - the Duke of Wellington’s carried no fewer than 9 extra clasps (i.e. representing 13 awards) and can now be seen at his residence, Apsley House, in London.

In all, only 165 Crosses and clasps, 88 Large Medals and clasps, and 596 Small Medals and clasps were awarded. The medals ceased to be conferred after the re-organisation of the Order of the Bath in January 1815 to create a new lower tier, the grade of “Companion” (CB), to which military officers could be admitted for distinguished service - “to the end that those Officers who have had the opportunities of signalising themselves by eminent services during the late war may share in the honours of the said Order”."