German Ace Lt. Menckhoff

Proud Kraut

Member ILLINIWORLD forwarded pictures of a fantastic grouping to post it here:

"The Menckhoff photo was purchased from ebay several years after obtaining the other items from the family of Percy Snell, who was from Aurora, IL.  Private Snell's MOS was a mechanic in the US 183rd Aero Squadron.  Snell was a talented artist, and though he was a mechanic, his main detail in France was in painting various squadrons insignia on officer's doors and trunks, and probably some aircraft.  He created the 183rd's identification "logo".  He traveled around France painting for other squadrons.  The items of his, he collected in his travels."

Here´s a picture of Lt Menckhoff and the corresponding ID:

Menckhoff.jpg

ID.jpg

"The small piece with the black stripe is a small part of the Iron Cross painted on the aircraft.  It reads:  From German Airplane (Albatross) brought down July 25th 1918 near Chatero Thiery.  German Pilot with 10 planes to his credit"

IC 1.jpg

IC 2.jpg

• 1 year later...
WWI Aero Buff
On 1/31/2021 at 2:49 AM, Proud Kraut said:

"...He created the 183rd's identification "logo".  He traveled around France painting for other squadrons."

Fascinating! I don't have the 183rd AS's insignia documented. Can you share it??

I posted text and photos for member ILLINIWORLD back then because he couldn´t upload it. Unfortunately I do not have any further information about it.