20 Years of Japanese Helmets

Airborne-Hunter

I was able to pull out one helmet today and get some photos. I received this helmet from a long time friend now deceased. We met each other in the classifieds section so that should give an idea.... Regardless he served in the Seabees during Korea. He loved everything aviation and collected the stuff extensively. Anything not aviation related was given to him by people he knew. In 2014 he pulled some stuff out and called me up. He said the box would find a good home with me and it did. I paid him quite well at the time, but I never got the story and I didn't understand the uniqueness of this piece until later. He passed in 2018 and his collection was spread to the winds.

The most striking part of this helmet is the cover. Its a 1st pattern, unreinforced edge. Someone, at some point, cut the star off the front. It can only be speculated who or why this was done. Regardless, the cover shows obvious and blatant modification to accept foliage. It also has some repairs and bears what I assume are embroidered initials. There is a set of characters inked on the back, but I am not sure what they mean. There is a cotton strip sewn to the back of the cover as well.

The helmet is a relatively well used Army showing extensive paint loss. It has worn to bare metal in many places. The liner is complete, but the straps have been shortened. One pad is marked with a 12 which I presume is showa 12 (1937).  

Anyway, that's all for today.

IMG_3211.JPG

IMG_3212.JPG

IMG_3213.JPG

IMG_3214.JPG

IMG_3215.JPG

IMG_3216.JPG

IMG_3217.JPG

IMG_3218.JPG

IMG_3219.JPG

IMG_3220.JPG

IMG_3221.JPG

IMG_3222.JPG

IMG_3223.JPG

IMG_3224.JPG

IMG_3225.JPG

IMG_3227.JPG

IMG_3228.JPG

IMG_3229.JPG

IMG_3230.JPG

Fortunes Of War

That's a great helmet and cover!  You are right, Showa 12 is the date for "1937", and the liner looks to be marked a size "large".  It also looks like the cover has either the remnants of a follow me cloth (even though some say they didn't do that!) or it could be what's left of a hand made Havelock.  The two embroidered kanji on the back of the cover (r to l) appear to be for the characters: "yama" and "ta(da)".    I love the story too about how you got it!  Thanks for sharing.

Fortunes Of War

Jareth-

Thanks for posting your helmet liner; it looks to be in very nice condition!

Airborne-Hunter

My dad found this helmet somewhere about two years ago. The liner appears to have the date of showa 17 (1942) and full length straps. It appears to named and for some reason it also appears that someone made a red mark of the maker stamp and a larger white mark of the size. 

IMG_3325.JPG

IMG_3326.JPG

IMG_3327.JPG

IMG_3328.JPG

IMG_3329.JPG

IMG_3330.JPG

IMG_3331.JPG

IMG_3332.JPG

IMG_3333.JPG

IMG_3334.JPG

Airborne-Hunter

I was able to pull this one out today. Unfortunately, I haven't a clue as to where it came from because I never wrote it down. In all its a nice standard army with complete straps, showa 17. Next to the date stamp is some other writing, but I don't know what it is. ABN

IMG_3401.JPG

IMG_3402.JPG

IMG_3403.JPG

IMG_3404.JPG

IMG_3405.JPG

IMG_3406.JPG

IMG_3407.JPG

IMG_3408.JPG

Airborne-Hunter

A friend of mine bought this one for me. Seems it was found in a house and brought back by a distant relative, but they didn't know anything about the vet. Most notably, it looks like someone tried to pry the star off, but they were unsuccessful. The chinstraps have been repaired with leather twine. The date stamp under the flap is present, but impossible to read. I think the most important thing to take away from this one is to always treat people well and just maybe they'll return the favor. Best ABN

IMG_3411.JPG

IMG_3412.JPG

IMG_3413.JPG

IMG_3414.JPG

IMG_3415.JPG

IMG_3416.JPG

IMG_3417.JPG

IMG_3418.JPG

Airborne-Hunter

Another friend of mine was visiting Sacramento and went to a random garage sale and ran across this helmet. The guy has no military knowledge, but Call of Duty WW2 had come out not too long before and I think he might have been playing that. In any case, he brought this home and proceeded to parade it around for two months or so until he got tired of it and then I wound up with it. My understanding is that he paid $20. Needless to say, he made a lot of money on the deal. ABN

IMG_3431.JPG

IMG_3432.JPG

IMG_3433.JPG

IMG_3434.JPG

IMG_3435.JPG

IMG_3436.JPG

IMG_3437.JPG

IMG_3438.JPG