Battle Damaged Japanese Good Luck Flag

Fortunes Of War

Fortunes Of War

Some friends have asked if I would post miscellaneous good luck flags from my collection.  There are all sorts of flag types that can be described simply by the way that they look.  There are fairly standard looking flags, that incorporate a Japanese national flag with black kanji writing around the red center (hinomaru), and nothing else.  There are some flags that have shrine or temple seals on them.  In fact, there are some flags that lack writing, but are covered in seals!  There are others with art illustrations painted on them, like the tiger flag in my previous post.  There is also a growing number of collectors who collect battle damaged or "salty" flags.  This category may include flags with bullet holes, shrapnel damage, burns, and of course, DNA.  Salty flags are undeniably authentic and are symbolic of man's greatest struggles against man and hence the lure.  

This particular flag is definitely battle damaged; most of the white field is no longer white, but shows stains from battle.  Overall, the flag is in pretty good condition, except for obvious tears along the hoist side.  One of the corner tabs is missing (see photo), while one tab and tie string remains.  The flag is not overly fragile but would be well served in a frame or stored until it could be framed.  

What makes this flag interesting for me is that it is "Presented to: Mr. Nakamatsu".  There is also the name of the person who gave the flag: "Hope & Victory! From: Navy Captain Mr. Oda."  Flags with navy references are often more special than army ones, since it is assumed there are fewer navy flags around (many now resting on the bottom of the ocean.) 

Japanese naval landing forces carried good luck flags too and fought many battles on land, so it is just as likely that this flag came from one such sailor.  

IMG_6533 (2).JPG

IMG_6534 (2).JPG

IMG_6535 (2).JPG

IMG_6536 (3).JPG