Iraqi Model 80 Helmet

Mark K

This particular example shows a good amount of wear to the exterior and interior alike the helmets were manufactured in South Korea and produced by ( HH Didizian and or Hyundai Heavy Department ) they are based after the model 76 which is a reference to the year of design..

Delivery of the 1'st Iraqi model 80's to the Iraqi government took place in early 1980 and they seen many years of service up to 2004 they are built in one size and weigh in at 935 grams and are approx 5mm thick they are constructed out of cotton fibres embedded in Corlon resin this is done in a high pressure mould by layering successive layers of cotton fibre cloth in resin this example has the mould number 43 stamped on the interior of the helmet body in the dome..

It is sporting a removable cradle type suspension in a light khaki green the cotton canvas is approximately 30 mm wide it is said to be modelled after the Riddell type suspension found in the US Model 72 liner complete with rear nape strap, it is fitted with a T-1 type chinstrap that has as well been modelled after examples found in use by the US in there M-1 helmets ( Model 1951 )

Take note that that helmets produced in South Korea for export to Iraq will be found marked with a small stamp in the form of a triangle this is done at the factory before being exported this is known as a " jihm " marking these can be found on the sweat band and or the centre web strap on the suspension as seen in the example below...

Regards Mark

20210914_165630.jpg

20210914_165646.jpg

20210914_165706.jpg

20210914_165721.jpg

20210914_165737.jpg

20210914_165753.jpg

20210914_165817.jpg

20210914_165831.jpg

20210914_165852.jpg

20210914_165907.jpg

Morning Russ I as well had noticed a little bit of red peaking through the paint but did not think there was enough there to do any kind of ID it would just be speculation on my part..

Regards Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mark, another great helmet there! I was wondering where you found the information on the jihm stamp being for export? I was always of the understanding that it was more of a property or acceptance stamp. It is found on many Iraqi items from uniforms to canteens and even license plates. I would love to learn more but have never found a reliable source... Thanks as always!  Scott.

Morning Scott most of the technical and production data was found at the sight ( World War Helmets Reference of helmets from 1915 to the present day ) for some reason I can not add a link to the website here but if you are interested contact me through PM as there is more information available on the sight in regards to the " jihm " markings and I will see if I can send it to you there and or send me your email and I can send it that way...

Regards Mark

Screenshot_20211127-035541_Chrome.jpg

Very nice reference Mark, I certainly wish I had known about it when I was writing my articles for Military Trader. As I mentioned, the jihm is found on so many items related to the Iraqi Army. I used to cringe when I saw e-Bay listings referencing it as proof of use by the Republican Guard... So much so that I actually did an article on RG markings. Thank you for sharing it and I will send you an e-mail as well.   All the best, Scott.