Former Indian POWs in England 1945

patches

It seems all British Commonwealth no matter where from who were captured during the course of the war were sent first to England from Germany to rest and get medically checked etc and to generally get sorted out and back to a more military outlook in due course. 

Here is a group of Indian POWs at Dartmoor being visited by the Queen, Indians captured either in Africa and or Italy, we see a few different castes, we gather their Tribal Headgear was wholly available in Army Stores in England.

dartmoor 1945.jpg

• 2 months later...

Another group, they may be all from the 4th Indian Division, captured in either North Africa or Italy. They apparently were invited to what is called the Overseas House in London  where Queen Mary pays them a visit.  Closest thing I could find for an Overseas House in London is the  Royal Over-Seas League with this being the Clubhouse.

uil.jpg

One more, The King visits a group of POWs from the 1st Battalion 5th Gorkhas in Norfolk, it was the 1st Battalion of the Regiment that fought in the West as a part of the 8th Indian Division, a real traveling unit, Iraq, Syria twice, in 1941 and again in  1942 and Iran also in 1941, North Africa in 1942, then back to Iraq and Syria then on to Italy, it was slated before this to stage landings in the Aegean, on Rhodes and the Dodecanese Islands but operations were canceled.

The Officer there was not IDed, so not sure what his rank (Cant se his shoulder straps for his rank) and position is,like was he a Company Commander, a Staff Officer etc, not sure when he went into the bag either.

indian p 1st bn 5th gurka.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
patches

The King visits another group on a different day. The two Indians wearing the Black Beret is interesting (To bad we can't see the Cap Badge), Armored Corps, they probably are of one of a few Cavalry units that were Reconnaissance of a Indian Infantry Division or Independent Brigades, in example 11th Prince Albert Victor's Own Cavalry (Frontier Force) of the 3rd Indian Motor Brigade, 6th Duke of Connaught's Own Lancers (Watson's Horse) of the 8th Infantry Division etc etc.

indian pows.PNG

• 4 weeks later...
patches

In the same theme.

The King pays visit to Australian and New Zealand, and African POWs, the Australian in the left foreground is of the 2/5th Battalion  6th Infantry Division, he could of been captured in Africa, or Greece, or Crete.  We see at least one New Zealander in the right background, and on the left background two Black Soldiers in Slouch Hats, haven't ascertained just what unit they are from, but one good guess is they are from one of the units of the King's African Rifles, but not seeing where they were..

austr and black pows.PNG

patches

Here's a large number of African POWs in Egypt, November 1941, it is now possible these troops and the two in the slouch hats are South Africans  of the Native Military Corps, a support unit of the Army.

pows.PNG

patches

Here's a group of them in Slouch Hats with their Elephant Badge, KD Bush Uniforms rather then the OD BD Uniform. Their weapons are traditional spears, ceremonial purposes obviously. Though they ere not be armed with firearms, but I get an indication some after awhile, we guess depending on their duty were issued out capture Italian Army Carcano Rifles, and probably Carcano Carbines too.

sa b.PNG

sa.PNG

Kia kaha
5 hours ago, patches said:

Here's a group of them in Slouch Hats with their Elephant Badge, KD Bush Uniforms rather then the OD BD Uniform. Their weapons are traditional spears, ceremonial purposes obviously. Though they ere not be armed with firearms, but I get an indication some after awhile, we guess depending on their duty were issued out capture Italian Army Carcano Rifles, and probably Carcano Carbines too.

sa b.PNG

sa.PNG

I believe that tis photo is of South African troops employed as security around military installations within South Africa, not ex P.O.W. I have an example of the spear/Assegai given to me 80s they have a notch on the butt for your thumb so that when on parade all the blades are facing the same way8ADAD980-E6E4-4541-89D9-20DC13B80391.jpeg.ef088c9d9a50b846ab8f03ce68b97719.jpegA685801D-9FAA-4BF9-AB30-8E60DAC1AB6F.jpeg.e9f23cf43158ca7fce5d82ff1baa35a0.jpegF0DD5794-D54D-49FC-88F1-A4C066CAC6A6.jpeg.2d6ea8208396bb13af7c59165d07b674.jpeg

photos are from bid or buy a South African on line auction site

patches

Kia kaha Yes I know, they may not be in Egypt, and are certainly not POWs.  I posted the photo to show the unit wore Slouch Hats as the two POWs back in England are wearing the Slouch Hats. A very unique artifact you have there in the Assegai by the way, thanks for posting it.