Waterloo Medal

mlafayette

I have a British Waterloo Medal that I am having difficulty figuring out and need some assistance. It is named; WILL. BOWIE * GUNNER, ROYAL HORSE ARTILLERY. When I search the Waterloo Medal Roll I find a William Bowie, but he is listed as No 45 1st Battalion 71st Regiment Foot. Could this be the same person and if not, why isn't my Will Bowie on the Rolls?

I was also very surprised to find it in a box pretty much forgotten as to its importance or value. A cool find amoung some treasures.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

image_50408705.JPG

image_50401281 (1).JPG

image_67169025.JPG

image_67138049.JPG

image_67129089.JPG

image_67113217.JPG

Preppy Picker
2 minutes ago, mlafayette said:

This is as I found it. No idea on the ring.

Any sign of it being removed? 

Here is one I found that now resides in the British Household Cavalry museum.

IMG_2466.png

22 hours ago, mlafayette said:

This is as I found it. No idea on the ring.

Hello mlafayette.

My GGG uncle fought at Waterloo and we knew he was a recipient of the 'Waterloo Medal' as his records listed the award. That said we could not find him on the 'Waterloo Medal Roll' until I started using near spellings of his surname. When I finally identified him in the correct unit I contacted the curator who replied very quickly and explained that while they were unable to change the transcription I the original roll they would add the correct spelling so a search would pick him up.

I have found a William Bowles which I think could be your Gunner.... https://library.royalmintmuseum.org.uk/entity/4056798-bowles-william-1338

It might prove fruitful to contact the roll and advise them of he error.

Gunner...