Luftwaffe Uniform

rrobertscv

Picked this up at a local auction this weekend. The auctioneer said it came out of an estate and was in a wardrobe bag in the bottom of a closet.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.1.jpg

5.jpg

6.1.jpg

6.2.jpg

6.3.jpg

6.4.jpg

6.5.jpg

6.6.jpg

6.7.jpg

7.jpg

Preppy Picker

Luftwaffe signals first lieutenant with slip on boards which is less common to see on a 4 pocket tunic. Can you take a picture of how the board is connected to the shoulder? Everything looks correct which makes the story plausible. I would have bought this tunic. Very nice piece.

tankengine888

Hey, I remember that uniform!

Are you by chance in the MAC server?

Zidane

Ah, turns out I was thinking of another fella.

So, in the MAC server it was said that this uniform appeared to be fake. I will make out the several points that were made in said server.

1. The eagle is too low

2. Overall collar shape is odd (too wide)

3. Shoulder boards are not attached correctly (officers used to have them sewn on)

4. ill-fitting collar tabs

5. Button Placement

There were a few other things, but I think a point has been made overall. If you have any doubts I'll be glad to elaborate on any points.

Zidane

**Amending since post merged and cannot edit

It's more common to see officers with sewn-in boards, though an amount were attached on instead.

The eagle is quite low, though it would be very rare for it to be that low

tankengine888

I asked, a reply was

'Because it is cheap to fake items, and you can still turn a considerable profit on 'lower end' pieces'.. 'Spend 300 to fake it, get 850 for it'

He goes on to state how the button is too far up [for the collar], 

'You should also take into consideration the cuff title, lw uniforms with cuffs are desired much moreso than ones without.'

Zidane.

Preppy Picker

Eagle placement not a concern as they are not all consistent.

Collar shape is because tunic is not buttoned up all the way.

Not all Luftwaffe officers had sewn in boards though not a common occurrence.

Collar tabs aren’t always in exact the same place especially on officers jackets.

Whats wrong with button placement?

All these arguments don’t make this a fake.

tankengine888

The collar would remain too wide, and with the buttoning it would become worse.

*there are reference pictures available, will send if need be

The eagle is still a concern; there is no example showing an eagle below the pocket seam. Officers tended to be more meticulous when it came to uniforms.

The collar tabs themselves, I have never seen them sewn on so poorly before. They do not even fit the shape of the collar; Which very well could be, because the collar shape is incorrect for the proper collar tabs, even if the tabs themselves are correct. There are absolutely no examples in which the collar tabs leave a considerably uneven margin between the tab border and the collar edge to form a point.

The button placement, I was wrong about. It was just because it wasn’t buttoned and I freaked out when it looked so bad admittedly.

Preppy Picker

I have to agree to disagree. After owning and studying hundreds of German uniforms not everyone is regulation. As far as eagles are concerned some don’t even touch the pocket never mind overlap it. The collar tabs however are rarely misplaced but on occasions they are.