1/35 German Half Track Rocket Launcher Sd.Kfz 251/1

Proud Kraut

Proud Kraut

I´m about to complete my lates modeling project. It´s the Sd.Kfz 251/1 half track with launch frame 40 by Tamiya. The vehicle was called "Stuka zu Fuss" (Stuka on foot) by the German soldiers. So far an easy build. Currently I´m working on the weathering of the half track and painting of the figures. Not sure if the model will be part of a diorama when completed.

SzF01.jpg

Proud Kraut

Thanks, I replaced the crew by other figures. Will post some pictures soon.

ArtyScout

I like this one so far. I hope the new figures work out for you.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Proud Kraut

Actually I wanted to build a dark grey painted mid-war variant. Doing some more online research I learned that the halftrack "D" models were introduced in 1943, the year the Wehrmacht adopted the 3 colors camo pattern for their vehicles. So I had to paint the model again. This time I used Tamiya XF colors.

SzF02.jpg

ArtyScout

Nice job on that three color camouflage.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Proud Kraut

Before I applied decals and washes the halftrack received a coat of clear gloss varnish.

SzF03.jpg

Proud Kraut

The gloss varnish has done it´s job. After I have airbrushed the halftrack with matt varnish again, the glossy borders of the decals aren´t visible any longer (see last picture of this post) From the distance I airbrushed the whole kit with some dark yellow color and drybrushed it with dark sand acrylic color. The halftrack is now united with it´s rockets and MGs etc. Unfortunately the tracks are too short. I have to fix the upper half on the wheels before I´ll start with the the next steps.

SzF02a.jpg

SzF04.jpg

SzF04a.jpg

SzF04b.jpg

SzF05.jpg

SzF07.jpg

Great attention to detail.  

ArtyScout

WOW, nice job Lars. The whole vehicle is outstanding. I love how the rocket brackets came out. The weathering is exceptional as are the decals.

Semper Fi.

Manny

Lars, first off outstanding work as usual. I did a quick search on these vehicles because I thought they were maybe used to transport the rockets to a mobile launcher. To my surprise they were launched from this vehicle. They were not incredibly accurate but did make a difference. Once again your modeling skills are beyond compare. 

Proud Kraut

Thanks to all for the kind words, I appreciate it!

You´re 100% right, tthen. The rockets were launched from the vehicle. Please note the two vertical bars at the front of the hood. They were used to adjust the whole vehicle towards the target.

Since I don´t know if the SdKfz will be part of a dio, I didn´t add any figures and personal equipment. I finally applied MIG "Europe Dust" pigments, mainly on the chassis and the lower half of the SdKfz. Some more photos of the completed model. Thanks for looking!

SzF08.jpg

SzF09.jpg

SzF10.jpg

SzF11.jpg

SzF12.jpg

SzF13.jpg

SzF14.jpg

SzF15.jpg

Lars, I suspect you already know this but I found it quite interesting. Since it was used from 1940 to the end of the war it would be cool to see you use it in a dio.

Proud Kraut

Thanks guys and thanks for posting the clip! I have seen some of the photos before but not the short movie at the beginning. My next dio will be rocket related as well but a little bit different. Maybe I´ll use the halftrack for one of my next projects...