What is the value of these items

William

William

Hello everyone, I am new to collecting and new to this forum. I got these 2 pairs of Waffen SS NCO shoulder board for $50 Aud and this Brown Luftwaffe Chest eagle for $50 Aud. I would love to know if i got a good deal and the value of this Items.

-Kind regards William

PXL_20240708_144815838.MP.jpg

PXL_20240708_144804293.jpg

PXL_20240708_145246048.MP.jpg

PXL_20240708_145252391.MP.jpg

PXL_20240708_145308000.MP.jpg

PXL_20240708_145326828.MP.jpg

PXL_20240708_145347821.MP.jpg

also I got these a while ago before the recent Australian law came in, so no crimes were commited

Mr.Jerry

Hello,

Unfortunately these are all reproductions, and here in the U.S. reproductions can usually be had for around $20.

William

How can you tell they are reproductions?

Rakkasan187

William,

Welcome to the forum..

These are computer generated machine stitched reproductions. You can see the differences when held next to period originals.  Under a UV light these will most likely glow indicating synthetic threads and materials were used which would further indicate post war materials vs war era cotton materials. Keep in mind that the UV light is only one method of detection.. A thread burn test will also help determine type of thread material (Cotton vs synthetic)

Leigh 

Preppy Picker

Originals are made differently. Here is an original Luft sports eagle.

IMG_0032.jpeg

IMG_0033.jpeg

Mr.Jerry

I echo what others have said. Construction and materials used are the give aways.

The shoulder boards would have been SS NCO boards from the SS LAH -  Liebstandarte Adolf Hitler, and finding a real singe loose board would be rare enough, finding a pair would be almost unheard of, finding 2 pair, litterally almost impossible, and finding 2 pair, in the even exponentially rarer branch of service colors, would be like having 3 supermodels all show up at your house at the same time, to deliver the Lamborghini you just won, with beer and sandwiches...

Are books on collecting Illegal over there now? If not, you may want to invest in some- there are some really good ones out now, and even the older ones like the Davis books on Army and LW insignia I still consult regularly.  Plus if you can't collect, at least you can still learn about them.

William

Thank you guys, you guys are awesome I will certainly invest in some books thank you 

Mr.Jerry

Don't feel too bad, we have all been there. (sometimes I still get burned on things)

It is an unfortunate part of the hobby, but it forces you to keep learning and finding out more.

and makes it that much sweeter when you do find that original artifact.

danimal03

hello,

I concur with what the others have said.  I once bought a 'dug SS' buckle from a known dealer.  He papered it with a letter of authenticity.  It was cheap.  A little too cheap. 

It turns out it is a fake.  I believe the dealer thought it was real.  I could have returned it, but I keep it in my office drawer as a reminder and lesson.  When I have a doubt about something I open the drawer and look at it to remind myself that even a dealer can make a mistake; and to be cautious and do as much research as I can. 

As they say everyone makes mistakes in all aspects in life.  Collecting is not immune to that.  I just spend as much free time as I can researching, learning, chasing references, etc.  Hopefully next time you will find a score.  Cheers!