Kriegsmarine Dagger/Eickhorn Made

Rakkasan187

Here is a nice Kriegsmarine dagger by the maker Eichkorn. Based on some information from a friend and well respected TR dagger collector, he states that this Eichkorn logo is a late war used not seldom seen logo. This dagger is of particular interest to kreigsmarine collectors. In additon to the logo the scabbard bands were applied separately to the scabbard which will help collectors identify real scabbards from reproduction scabbards which are all one shell. Another bonus with this dagger is that the gilt is about 95% intact as well as the near mint portapee which has no fraying and has remained intact on the dagger itself with the proper knot tying.

Although it lacks the hangar which I will be looking for an original to add to this dagger, this is one of my favorites due to condition and near completeness..

Leigh

This post will be picture heavy in order to examine some of the details of the dagger, scabbard, etching and other components

post-185119-0-04203700-1540992176.jpg

post-185119-0-66751300-1540992193.jpg

post-185119-0-22299200-1540992216.jpg

post-185119-0-61900100-1540992237.jpg

A very nice KM dagger! Yes, your dagger has the late simplified logo that is called the "over the shoulder looking squirrel" by collectors. Your Portepee appears to be celluloid rather than aluminum, which is generally correct for Navy daggers. Can you show the insert in the very bottom of the ball of the knot please?

Sarge,

Thank you for the comments. When I have time this weekend I will pull the dagger out and take some pictures of the pommel as requested..

Tony..

Thanks for the feedback

Leigh

Sarge,

Thank you for the comments. When I have time this weekend I will pull the dagger out and take some pictures of the pommel as requested..

Tony..

Thanks for the feedback

Leigh

Many thanks. A photo of the bottom of the Portepee knot is what I am after.

Nice looking dagger. I have its twin and have always enjoyed it. Love the knot as well, right as rain. I suspect Sarge is looking to see if it is the “cats anus” variety. I display mine with two sets of the hangers, the gold for line personnel and aluminum or silver for admin. Makes for a great display. I have always wanted one of the silbver bullion belts to throw in with it, but I will have to keep looking. Good luck and thanks for sharing. Kevin

Leigh,

Thanks for the closeup photo of the knot insert. I was looking to see if it was this style or the so-called "cat's anus" style of knot insert. Both are correct but I just like knot variations.

Sarge,

I was wondering this too, as many of the knots I have seen have that appearance (cat's anus) that is.. This portapee has more straight weave of the material.. I will have to check my Luftwaffe dagger portapee and firemans dagger portapee so I can see what they have..

Thanks again for your knowledgable insight and information..

Leigh

Sarge,

I was wondering this too, as many of the knots I have seen have that appearance (cat's anus) that is.. This portapee has more straight weave of the material.. I will have to check my Luftwaffe dagger portapee and firemans dagger portapee so I can see what they have..

Thanks again for your knowledgable insight and information..

Leigh

Some of these knot inserts in the ball were made of this flat weave material from the flat straps (of course your KM dagger Portepee straps are round) found on bullion knots of various sorts. Flat material inserts are common on the bayonet Troddel with cloth or flat bullion straps. Your Feuerwehr Portepee will most commonly have a bright carmine cloth insert for both Officer and NCO knots. Interestingly, this bright carmine material will most often show florescence when black lighted but this is absolutely correct for it to do so. So, here is an instance where you will get the opposite result from a period material than you might expect with a black light. Never say never!

I hope this is helpful.

• 4 weeks later...