My trip to Russia.

AB45

10th of May

We pack our camping things and drive to the fresh spit. We want to search there for 2 days with our metal detectors. The Frische Nehrung was a sanctuary for many thousands of soldiers and civilians who fled Königsberg in 1945. Many thousands were killed.

We drive 40 kilometers from Königsberg to Pillau. In Pillau we have to take a ferry across the lagoon. To come to the freshness Spit. We Germans all stay in the car during the crossing. Nobody should notice that German is on the ferry. The fresh spit is restricted area and the access for foreigners is prohibited. We set and reach after a short drive the old Seefliegerhorst Pillau-Neutief. Some of the old hangars are still visible today. Very impressive.

Our Fart leads us on the old 2 kilometer long runway. Lower into the Spit. We see from a distance Russian military buildings. A Russian soldier stands by the wayside. Victor stops and talks to the soldier.

He gets 2 packs of cigarettes and we continue our journey. On a path that someday only consisted of holes.

We were badly thrown back and forth. The landscape is also turning into an Amazon region.

Day 2 on the Spit.
The departure was scheduled for 06:00 PM.
But what should come now, nobody expected.
05:00 PM, me and a friend come back to the camp. 2 minutes later comes a Russian jeep with three soldiers. Of course with weapons.
Our "travel guide" Bernd gives instructions. No German word anymore.
We have to dismantle everything and pack in the car.
We hide phones and cameras in the car as much as possible. A Russian soldier with Kalashnikov climbs in our car and we leave the spit.
In the port of Pillau we have more military in our hands. We continue to a barracks in Pillau.
The green gate opens automatically. We drive in and are already expected by the location command. Even a man in black runs around our car. FSB?
Yes, that was from the FSB, as we later found out.

What happened ?

The Russian secret service has probably already noticed on the ferry that we are German. The Russian military then spent two days looking for us on the Spit.

Papers? Visa?

Of course, they were all in Königsberg. Our connexion man in Königsberg was alerted.

At the same time a radio message went to Berlin :D

" Suchtruppe Kraft " in Russian Captivity. Uncertain hours for those who have loved their home pass away.

We are to wait for the next in the courtyard of the barracks. Everything still looks like at Wehrmacht times. It was a cold day in May. A Russian friend asked me if I wanted a jacket.

I said yes. He gave me an SS jacket. Of course not an original. But an SS.

Crazy, we were certainly the first German. After 1945 they are allowed to see a barracks in Pillau from inside.

And with an SS jacket. Guarded by two Russian soldiers. Very crazy. :blink:

It's getting dark.
We are brought to a training room. On the walls ships and aircraft of the Bundeswehr can be seen.
When I want to take a closer look, I'm asked not to do that.
The 4 Russians are brought for questioning. Our German "Reisefüher" must go to the FSB.
The main entrance door bangs again and again into the lock. When one of them comes back.
Midnight, the commander enters the door.
The door crashes into the lock again. One of our guards had probably fallen asleep.
The Kashi crashes to the ground.
Only we Germans are taken to a police station. It takes until 02:00 AM until the police bring two women.
Which looked us completely confused and disappear into a room. The women were taken out of bed at night. Because you were the only ones who spoke German.
I was called first. I had to sign a document. In which I agree. To pay 2000 rubles / 50 euro penalty.
The others follow me and we can drive back to Königsberg.
It's early morning until I get to sleep.
We stay another day in Königsberg. Before we start the return journey to Berlin.

Souvenirs ?
Yes there was. A Russian seeker found a Fanta bottle from 1940 on the Spit.
On request he gave me the bottle.
As you all know, Coca Cola was only produced in Germany until 1940.
It was looking for a replacement drinks. Which should taste just as fantastic as Coca Cola.
This Fanta was invented.

post-185416-0-11056300-1546463143.jpg

post-185416-0-48267600-1546463154_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Always thought it would be interesting to see some of the battlefields there...but I suspect I'd be a person of too much interest and they would involuntarily extend my stay.

• 2 weeks later...