Oddball WW2 Russian Jacket, Need Help IDing

Polygon

Hey guys,

I picked up this Russian jacket that appears to be dated 1941. I've never seen this style of uniform before and it appears to be military issue judging by the stamp on the inside along with the materials used. Can anyone ID this jacket?

post-185256-0-52916900-1557456698_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

While I haven’t seen it in use myself, it’s presumably the EM Service Jacket. The precursor to the brown wool one that would be seen in the 1945 Victory Parade all the way into the late 60s.

Verg nice example. First time I’ve ever seen a real one but I’ve seen reproduction ones for sale.

• 3 months later...

As stated, this is am Officer's tunic. One thing that's noticiable on this is that there are no shoulder boards or marks they were even attached. This ties in perfectly with the date, as shoulder boards weren't worn until 1943 (after Stalingrad).

HOWEVER - The date on this tunic to me is suspect as these types of officer's uniforms with the Nehru collar weren't issued until 1943. Also, these uniforms when found are usually eaten by moths to some extent and this example looks a little to clean. There may be a date on the back of the button, but that stamp on the lining doesn't look right to me. It could well be a museum piece as several of them were doing the rounds on the market back in the 1990s.